Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand new Speed Graphic Owner (Lens)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRichard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Brand new Speed Graphic Owner (Lens) Reply with quote

Ok, So after 12 years of looking, I finally bought a Speed Graphic.

Regarding the Kodak EKTAR 127:

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I understand the basics of how to use this lens, but there are things on it that I don't know what do.

The two prongs on top obviously link to the flash. The little silver deal that says 5 and 20, I assume that means #5 and #20 press bulb, correct?

What about the little silver slide/switch that resides over the line that goes to T. And what about the black button? What's it all mean?!

Does a manual exist? So many questions... Back to searching...
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Kodak Ektar operation Reply with quote

Kodak Ektar lenses were were supplied for Graphic cameras in two basic shutter configurations. Of course Kodak lenses were available with Kodak Supermatic shutters that were made by Kodak. Ektar 127mm lenses were also supplied in Graphex shutters made by Wollensak. From your description I am guessing that your lens has a Graphex shutter. The basic shutter operation is quite simple. The outer rim of the faceplate is rotated to select a speed such as 100 which really means 1/100 second. Aperture is set independently with a different lever. My 127mm Ektar/Graphex for my Anniversary Speed Graphic is a Full Synchromatic type. This means that there is a delay mechanism for using flash bulbs. Mine is marked
OFF = syncronizer turned off;
0 = no delay (for electronic flash);
5 = 5 millisecond delay (for class F type bulbs);
20 = 20 millisecond delay (for class M type bulbs).

Regards,
Dave
Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a diagram for a Graphex shutter:

It's your question about a "black button" that makes me think you have a Supermatic shutter. The levers are pretty much in the same place but on the Supermatic, the "Press Focus Lever" is replaced by a shutter arrestor button.

When using the ground glass to compose and focus it's a pain in the fingers to move the shutter to T, trip the shutter open, focus, trip the shutter closed then reset the shutter to the correct exposure time.

Wolley and Kodak added this Press focus feature. With the Graphex you can open the shutter at any speed by pressing/sliding the Press focus lever down/clockwise. With the supermatic you cock the shutter hold down the button and trip the shutter. The button "catches" the shutter blades in the open position, to close you recock the shutter.
JohnRichard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above lens is not the same as mine. I finally found my cord, and here are some pics of the lens.

[/img]

As you can see, there is no M or X selection. There is suppose to be a screw that holds the little metal slider deal at either 5 or 20, but it fell in the floor and I havent looked for it yet.

The little tab that's next to the button, yeah, that only moves when the shutter is cocked. But it doesn't do anything that I can see.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving clockwise from the cable release:
shutter release
shutter cocking lever
blade arrestor button
flash delay cocking lever
flash contact (bipost type)
aperture control lever

If you fire the shutter without cocking the delay mechanism, you will get X Synch.

Dave has already explained what the 5 and 20 on the slider will do. But they'll do it only if the delay mechanism is cocked.
JohnRichard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Thanks guys. This helps a lot!

I'll get to test the speeds tomorrow when my latest film order gets here.
I'm excited about the 4x5!
troublemaker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blade Arrestor allows you to cock the shutter, hold the button down, and the blades will lock open to allow you to check focus or use rear shutter. When ready to shoot re-cock shutter and it should fire at selected speed. Advise closing shutter first before changing speed selection.
To use Flash Delay, cock shutter first, then cock the shutter delay.
To change the shutter delay from 20ms to 0 for electronic flash (also known as X) loosen the slotted lock nut and move the slider and re-snug the slotted lock nut.
Rather than using the blade arrestor I got in the habit of simply using the T (time) setting on most of my lenses for focussing or leaving the shutter open for using the rear focal plane shutter. Personal preference I suppose, but it also has to do with always leaving the shutter on T with the shutter closed when not in use as is the suggested way to leave them. I've also noticed Supermatic shutters have a tendency to not lock the blades fully open, though not a big deal, I never cottoned to the idea of having the springs fully loaded and perhaps forgetting to close the thing. I could be worng, but I am of the impression that there is less spring tension when set at T and tripped to the open position, esspecially if the arrestor is used with the shutter set at faster speeds, which is not the case at T or B.
Thus always try and not leave the shutter open for long periods and when finished using it. 64 year old springs aren't what they used to be. Case in point is most of these old shutters tend to rate about a full stop slow at the fastest speed, more or less... Go take photos and have a great time with your new friend... !
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew---now I know why I love my Graphex shutters!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: