Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graham 23 roll film holder Instructions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Graham 23 roll film holder Instructions? Reply with quote

Has anybody found instruction for the odd beast? I get the jist of the holder load film in rigid spool, thread across back, insert into camera.....

Here's where it gets dodgy. Is it best to have the take up spool in the removable housing and try to thread it that way, or thread the spool and try to get it in the housing? Is there really enough leader to to this without fogging frame #1?

The version I have as both a window at below right and an exposure counter on the wind knob (a window in the knob shows ex #) How do I set this? Is it as simple as winding til I see frame one in the window then try to pull up and adjust the exp. counter / wind knob to read '1"??
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, those things are kinda rare. I just happen to have one. Let me find the thing and get back to you. I may have to bone up on how to do it, too. It's been awhile.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's what I've found: Either my frame counter on the knob is broken or I'm a idiot. I can find no way to set mine and the numbers don't run in sequence with the ones in the red window. Example: Number 5 in the red window, number 3 on the knob. Then wind to 6 in the window and it may say something like 7 on the knob. I think it's cuckoo in the cabeza. It should move one number per frame, don't you think? Nope. Not mine.
Anyhoo, in subdued light, load the full roll on the right and pull the leader across, with about 2-3 inches to spare. Put the leader OVER the pin roller and lay the excess under the holder. Slide the holder under the spring back. Retrieve the excess and pull out another inch or so if needed. It's safe to do so in subdued light. With an empty spool in the little take-up compartment, insert the tongue of the leader into the slot and turn the take-up knob at least a full revolution. Pull on it to make sure the film hasn't come ut of the slot. Wind while keeping a bit of tension on the take-up thingie until you can slide it under the hold down tab. Hook the little hook. You're ready to go. You actually still have to wind quite a way until you get to frame 1. The knob counter? I don't know what to say. It looks to me like you would pull up on the knob and set it to #1, with #1 showing in the window. Mine acts busted.
Be aware that these things can easily be bumped away from the camera. With no darkslide provision, it could easily fog the frame in use. If any of this makes sense, I hope it helps.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one which I used once on a 2x3 Crown springback. I loaded it like Glenn said and I must be an idiot too because I couldn't figure out how the frame counter on the knob worked. I just used the red window.
I hate to be discouraging, but I found the Graham the most awkward photographic device I've ever used. It's so heavy (cast iron?) that it overbalances a 2x3. Then you have to be careful not to pick up the camera by the spool compartments because, like Glenn said, the springs on the camera back aren't strong enough to keep the holder tight against the back. It may be different on a 4x5, but I don't think so.
I found the ordinary Graphic rollholder with a spring kit is way easier to use and works much better -- as long as you don't mind losing the use of the groundglass. If you're interested, Les, I have a spare spring kit -- drop me a PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: