Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2X3 graflex RB series B help! backs and lens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starvingjack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: 2X3 graflex RB series B help! backs and lens Reply with quote

Apparently i received a 2X3 and not a 4X5 like stated in evilbay.
I do not mind keeping it but getting the "graflex" film backs prove to be a big headache. So if anyone has any holders for this camera, do let me know.

The other thing is the lens is horribly scratched, i'll like to replace it but unsure of what lenses that can fit. Any help on this is appreciated.

thanks so much!
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that seems to happen quite a lot, especially with Speed Graphics where the seller measures the outside of the camera and not the film size.

As for Graflex (not Graphic) film holders, just keep checking 'evilbay'. Have a look at all 2x3 film holders and see if they have the groove down the long side as some sellers don't know the difference. When you search check the little Store Inventory box on the left side of the page as it will bring up a lot more items for you to look at.

As for the lens, if it is uncoated a lot of patient rubbing in small circles with a little toothpaste on a smooth cotton cloth might resurrect it. Don't use the blue gel type, just the normal white sort. If it is pretty stuffed you have nothing to lose. If it is a coated lens (probably not) you may have to get it recoated or get a replacement. Most smaller barrel lenses (Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, Wollensak, etc) up to about 150mm should fit your camera. Make sure the lens has a mounting flange or retaining ring. Lens boards are easy to make from ply.

Cheers,
Bruce
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found two auctions with the right film holders for your 2x3 Graflex: #350233978905 and #200369211582. Have a look and see what you think.

Cheers,
Bruce
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Bruce, the RB has a fixed lens board. The flange to which the lens mounts is held to the rear of the front standard by four screws that go through both.

I agree that most barrel lenses of roughly the right focal length can be made to work on the camera, but a little ingenuity may be needed.

Cheers,

Dan
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

You are right of course, I jumped the gun. Wrote before opening my eyes!

My post-war RB Series B has a coated Kodak Ektar 127mm f4.5 and whether it has the same screw mount as the pre-war models I'm not sure. I only guessing that maybe a pre-war version has a No 31 Kodak Anastigmat or similar.

Cheers,
Bruce
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that a lens for an RB can't be too short of a focal length. For a 2x3 camera a 5 or 6 inch lens should work fine.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: