Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedguns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnstrous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Speedguns Reply with quote

Hello all! This is my first post.

I have 2 Speedguns from an eBay purchase. basically, can someone point me to a manual or at least say how they attach to the shutter? I'm assuming I'm missing something.
There are 2 styles. One seems to need a cable release that fits into the bent tube. The other lacks this. I did find the button that powers the flash. But no cable sockets. In either case, I don't see how they connect to the shutter.

This is a great site! thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25636383@N06/3735237272/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25636383@N06/3735237232/in/photostream/
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the right with the bent tube is the "universal Speedgun". As you guessed there was a cable that ran to the cable release socket on the shutter of the camera. To use it you pulled the plunger in the back back and I think you tripped it by a black button just bellow the bent tube. It was universal because it could work with any camera with a cable release socket and a between the lens shutter.

The second one is electric. It probably has a better chance of working. but you'll need a camera with a solenoid (I suggest a Speed Graphic) attached to the lens shutter. I think it might be possible to use this with a synchronized shutter as well.

You're gonna have to make your own cords or beg Paramount to make them up for you. The electrical connection on the flash is on the underneath side of the overhang where it says, "SPEEDGUN" turn the flash upside down and you'll see 4 small holes, each numbered. Mendelson used pin type connectors similar to probes on voltmeters today. At the time they were fairly common in the radio industry with speakers.

I'd have to do some digging to find out which holes did what. but if you want to play for now, I suggest finding a 3v lamp, a soldering iron and solder. If you pull the insulation off some 14 gauge lamp cord and solder the strands together it should push into the holes well enough for research. hook the other ends up to the bulb. Push the button. when you get the wires in the correct holes the lamp will light when you push the button (assuming you've got batteries in the case).
Johnstrous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks Les, I'll give that a try--I see the holes now. I'll keep posted on how things turn out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: