Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex "Speed - I - O - Scope"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Graflex "Speed - I - O - Scope" Reply with quote

I just got this oddball device, which is an Ilex shutter with no optical elements, just a flat piece of glass at the front to keep your fingers out of the shutter. The back of the shutter is fitted with a large tube and a clamping screw, evidently to slide over some projection lens.

What was this for? My best guess is for some form of flash training, where an image was projected for a moment and you were supposed to be able to identify what the image had been. Something like aircraft identification training.

I'll ask Les to post some photos.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is these things were used during the war to train pilots to instantly recognize enemy aircraft. It was placed on the lens of a slide or film strip projector.
I guess if you saw the thing flash a picture enough times, the images would stick to your brain. I have one I was using as a front mounted shutter but it's worn out and I don't think I can fix it any more.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school I took a speed reading course that used a device called a tachistoscope to project letters, words, and short sentences for a very short period of time. It was basically a film strip projector (remember them?) with a shutter in front of its lens. This is basically Glenn's application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> AV Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: