Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

65mm Super Angulon & Super Speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: 65mm Super Angulon & Super Speed Reply with quote

Greetings,
I have the chance to buy a 65mm Super Angulon. Will I need to use/make a recessed lens board to use this lens in my Super Speed Graphic? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Dan
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you won't need a recessed board, but you'll find it much easier to use if the lens is in a helical mount. The Super Speed Graphic doesn't have linked rails inside the body, so if your lens isn't in a focus mount, you'll have to push/pull the front standard to focus. Not the most fun I can think of.

I used a normal 65SA on a Super for a while and when one in a focusing mount came around I snapped it up quickly. They aren't common
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: 65mm Super Angulon & Super Speed Reply with quote

I am not familiar with those. Do you know where here I can see how it works?

I make my own lens boards why would a recessed board not work?
thanks
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a pic of my SA focused an INF on my Super. You'll notice that the lens is mounted to a helical focusing mount which is attached to the lensboard. In practice I gross focus with the lens standard, then fine focus with the helical and ignore the calibrations on the helical.

Notice too that the front standard is at the front edge of the internal rails of the body. In order to get the lens standard on the bed rails, you'll need a recessed lensboard nearly as deep as the lens is long, and then some way to access the shutter and aperture levers/ dials.

they also made a 47mm SA the same way.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: 65mm Super Angulon & Super Speed Reply with quote

Anybody know where I can get one and how much it will cost?
Thanks.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine off of ebay a few years back for $300. Can't say if it would be less because Large format and film in general is on the decline, or it would be more because of he rarity.

feel free to link to this thread or paste the URL in emails to any of the big camera houses that deal in LF and used gear. I think links are still on the home page of this site.

Midwest camera exchange (MPEX) comes to mind, Lens & Repro does too, but they want double what everybody else wants. B&H and Adorama won't have anything like this.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan. they turn up from time to time on eBay. If a 65/8 SA will do for you, so will a 65/8 Ilex Acugon, also sold as Caltar Ilex.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: 65mm Super Angulon & Super Speed Reply with quote

I have the lens. It's a way to use it. Buying the Caltar I would still need the mount wouldn't I? Thanks.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this may make you cringe, but buying a decent Crown Graphic with linked rails, so you could use the lens in your hand, might be cheaper and certainly quicker than waiting for the rare version to show up.

Les
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: 65mm Super Angulon & Super Speed Reply with quote

Not at all. We have a sale here on sunday or maybe instead of selling the one I have in that's in mint condition I may just use it.
I really appreciate your help!
Long live the Graflex!
Thanks,
Dan
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the slip. So you need a focusing helical. www.skgrimes.com has 'em ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: