Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are faster shutter speeds safe to use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Are faster shutter speeds safe to use? Reply with quote

I have a 1931 RB Series B that was overhauled by a good technician and is in fine working shape. My question is: I read somewhere (can't remember where) that tightening the shutter tension past 3 or so and adjusting the curtain to the narrower slits is not a good idea on a camera this old. The curtain is in excellent condition -- flexible, no pinholes, etc. The camera is being used lightly but regularly.
Does anyone have any advice or experiences they'd like to share?
Thanks.
sevo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher tension adds some risk of tearing the curtain - on the other hand, it reduces the likelyhood of slack buildup, which can damage curtains just as much.

Personally, I don't practice any care there and use any setting I need - curtains are to some degree consumables, and if they break, they were overdue for replacement.

Sevo
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with using the high shutter speeds. To help attain high speeds and help reduce the strain on the curtain, you should "pack" the shutter first, to remove slack and get it nice and tight on the rollers. I run my shutter from the smallest to the largest aperture a couple of times at tension number 2 or 3 before cranking it up. Don't run it clear down to the closed position when you do this. That lets the curtain go slack. Stop with the shutter open. Then, go for it and have some stop action fun.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Glenn and Sevo. That's reassuring. After all, there's nothing too fast for a Graflex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: