Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart Rangefinder repair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonP.(SKIP)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Kalart Rangefinder repair. Reply with quote

This is my first visit here, and I'm embarrased as an experienced photographer to have to ask a simple question from those having experience in repairing a top mounted rangefinder. I want to remove the prism and mirror, and I've only been succesful in getting the end plates and top plate off. How do you get the eyeports open, and gain access to remove them, if it can be done? I've acquired one (which model I don't know) which has a serial number. Purchased it from that selling bay.
Sure would appreciate a bit of help here. Thanks. Don P.(SKIP-to my friends)
Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi skip welcome to the world of Graflex.

If you managed to take the ends off, I suspect this means you have an early model Kalart that has the adjusting scales on the front and back. I just checked the one I have and the round glass frames screw into the tube frame, I used my thumb to unscrew mine, but you might need something with more grip. A common tool is a standard everyday hardware rubber stopper that's large enough to cover the rim.

Les
Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOld on. You say "top mount range finder" hmmmm that's a different animal if it's on a Graphic. Is this made of aluminum or plastic? Does the serial number start with an F or K or E?

Don't do anything until we figure out what model you have

Les
DonP.(SKIP)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Range finder repair. Reply with quote

Finally, someone has some kind words to say. I'm new on here, so not sure just how to reply as compaired to the I.D.C.C. chat room. I suppose you'll see this Les.
My unit does have the end covers, and if F34829 serial number means any thing that will help, there it is. I guess I'll have to find one of those thermos stoppers or rubber gripper's to remove the eye port glass to clean. Be glad to discuss this off forum at my email address unless I can post a photo here somehow. Sure other's are interested in this, but probably not unlike it's not been talked about before.
Thanks for the comments Les.
Don P.(SKIP)
DonP.(SKIP)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Range finder repair. Reply with quote

Les,
Yes it is aluminum or chrome coated. I don't know if anyone keeps records on those serial numbers, but I do know that inside it has a date in pencil, and that could be inspection mark, or repair, but it's from 1940. Year I was born. I believe it was 8-11-40/N. I've put it back together, but can remove and check if it's important to anyone.
I did take photo's of it today, and when and if I take apart again, I'll shoot the inside for my purpose.
Don P.(SKIP)
DonP.(SKIP)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: range finder repair Reply with quote

I believe I should have mentioned this in previous first message. Yes, Les, it is a Kalart synchronized Range Finder. Yes, it has both the scales on it. I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to your comments and reply. Hope that helps.
It has offset corner holes for mounting to ???? camera I don't know. Perhaps you can point me to which model vintage this would be. I still have a lot of my own items in a Graphic case. Guess for benefit of your members, I should make a list and record numbers for those interested. I'm not a large format collector, being interested in Argus, Exacta, and Univex. But I still have some of my sentimental items of my uncle's. BTW, glad to be among a group who is appreciative of the best format ever made. Truely professionals who could handle these formats. Nice web site, and great camera collectors venue.
Don P.(SKIP)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: