Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Shutter for 2x3 Optar Ektar Triopar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ki6mf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: New Shutter for 2x3 Optar Ektar Triopar Reply with quote

Is it possible to take one of these old lenses and screw them into a new shutter copal or other make without having a custom adapter or mount? If so which shutters would work

Thanks in advance
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, no. These lenses were made long before there was any agreed on standard for shutter sizes. The Tri-Optar was originally mounted in a little Century shuter, if I remember right. A pretty crappy little shutter. I've never run across a shutter that will interchange. That doesn't mean there isn't one. Somewhere. Some of the Ektars can be mounted in old rim set Compur shutters and Graphex shutters. Depends on whether you can find something compatible. The Optar lenses were usually mounted in Graphex shutters but a few were in Compurs. I hate to say it, but if you want to mount any of these oldies in a modern shutter, you will have to shell out a hefty chunk of change. Good lenses but not worth it.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.
ki6mf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: New Shutter for 2x3 Optar Ektar Triopar Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! It would seem the answer is to match a newer lens on a new lens board to the 2X3 body!
troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which do you have, and what's the problem?
If the glass and coatings are in good shape, clean and clear, any one of those lenses should be really good. All the Trioptar 103's and Ektar 101's and 105's I've handled have been excellent aside from some cleaning mark flare on a couple. The Wollensak Optar and Raptar 101's can vary some, but mostly good to to very good. I have a couple that are as good as the best Ektars.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with troublemaker! Moreover, Glenn, my Century (Wollensak) shutter is definitely not "crappy," in fact, it is very dependable, accurate, convenient for hand-held shots as it's self-cocking, and synchs M-F-X all by itself on the assigned shutter speeds. But with a three-element lens, like the Ektar, and the Graflar that I have, coverage is limited so you can't use much movement; obviously that's not gonna be a problem for hand-held work. For groundglass focussing on tripod, the Optar 101 in Graphex (much preferable to Compur, IMO) of course will give better results. If I were OP ki6mf, that's what I'd be looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: