Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strobomatic 500 questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). What is the guide number of the rechargable head?

2). What size and how many batteries required to make up a battery pack?

3). What were the current/voltage ratings of the charger?

Have searched the site with the search feature, info currently not here.
Graflite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 45PSS:

(1) The Strob 500 Lamphead, Graflex Catalog #2241,(specs shown below), was used with all three power supply options, the only difference in the system was the power supply, HV was High Voltage, RG was Rechargeable and AC was 117 VAC.

Guide Number for ASA 100:
211 at Full power (7,100 ECPS Light Output)
150 at 1/2 power (3,600 ECPS Light Output)
102 at 1/4 power (1,650 ECPS Light Output)
Energy Storage is 200 watt seconds.

(2) ONE Battery, Graflex Catalog #2293, I don't remember the Eveready or NEMA type equivalent, it was a 35 watt hour dry Ni-Cad that delivered about 200 flashes at full charge and took about 16 hours to fully charge up.

(3) I don't remember offhand, I do remember selling a few in the early 70's in a local downtown camera store, there was an 117 VAC charger and also a 12 VDC charger for the auto to charge the Ni-Cad battery.

I never did own one, had instead the Strob 250 and the Globe Strob 250 Bare Bulb because they were lighter, and also the usual 3 cell Flash (Bulb) guns w/reflector.

In comparison the Strob 250 that I used was only 75 watt seconds, GN 110 at 2,000 ECPS, but weighed a lot less than the Strob 500 which seemed to be more of a studio type flash.

"graflite"
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All nicads (may have stuck my neck out) usually are made up of smaller cells connected is series/parallel configurations, and to charge a higher than 12V battery in a car would require an oscillator type power converter which could be a large box (3 to 4 inches square or so) so I will assume that the pack is around 12V and high current output. To charge at 117Vac for 16 hours means a common stepdown transformer (usually called battery eliminators or chargers) that has an output of 1 to 2 ampheres. Might even be able to adapt my Metz 45 CT1 to such a system.

Thanks much for the info. Anyone with actual specs please post.

Charles

crvogt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Graflex 500 RG has a battery pack made up of 8 "D" size Ni-Cd cells assembled in series. This pack has an output of 9.6 VDC, and a capacity of 1600mAh (depends on MFG)
I replaced the cells in one of my units with fresh Radio Shack Standard "D" Ni-Cds.
For a charger an 12VDC wall transformer will do nicely, look for one with an output of about 500mAh. Charge time is based on the capacity (1600mAh)devided by the output of the charger. (1600/500=3.2 hours)
To charge the unit you will need the plug for the RG charger base, this is a standard TV "cheater cord" plug, can be scrounged off an old TV or ask at a TV repair shop.
Here is a link to a few "Thousand Word Pics"
http://www.fototime.com/inv/92558C18CDB3B18

For the Guide # of the head set the dial on the back of the head. Turn until the ASA (100) is at the full power symbol, go to 10ft on the other side of the dial, get the "f stop" (f stop X 10ft-GN). Now that you know how the dial works guide # calculations are easier.....

Carl@carlvogt.com
http://www.carlvogt.com

[ This Message was edited by: crvogt on 2003-01-15 04:48 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info., the one that was up on the "E" thing has gone but another may come up and now I'll know the in's and out's.
I've got a lot of "cheater cords" scrounged off dead sets from my technican days, guess I shouldn't throw them away just yet.

Charles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: