Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Correct film holder for spring back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Correct film holder for spring back Reply with quote

Hi. Completely new to Graphics. Bought a Speed Graphic, apparently it has a Crown Graphic screen. It has a spring back. I got a fidelity film holder for it, which I had assumed were standard size, but the holder is too small for the recess under the spring back, meaning it can move around and leaks light from behind. I have tried to find out info about the correct holder to use, but to no avail so far.

Are there different standard holders for different backs, and which one should I be looking out for?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can pull the ground glass away from the camera to put the film holder in, then it's either a Graphic (spring back) or a Graflok back. These take standard holders.

If you have to remove the ground glass assembly to put the film holder against the camera, then it's a Graflex back and takes non standard film holders.

For the holder to be too small, I can only think of two things, It's a Graflex back, or the holder is for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheet film. A standard 4x5 film holder is 4 3/4" wide on the narrow dimension.

I know there are 10x12cm film holders out there which are close but not the same image size as 4x5, and you're certainly in the right area to find these holders, but I thought the outside dimension was the same as a 4x5 film holder.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are. They superseded the one-sided metal holders that were used in Europe prior to WWII when Graflex helped put Linhof back into business after 1945. Compatibility was the goal : one back - two formats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: