Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Physically largest lenses that can close into Super Graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Physically largest lenses that can close into Super Graphic Reply with quote

Hi again.

Now that I've order a repair manual for my Super speed graphic and optar lens, I'm looking at other focal lengths that I like: 90mm and 210/240mm lenses.

My question this time is about being able to close the camera with the lens still attached. So far, I've found an Schneider 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon MC and a Rodenstock Grandagon-N f 6.8 90mm Copal 0. I've also found a Nikon 210mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W Lens.

Just by looking at these lenses I don't think that they can be closed with in the camera although the Optar 1000's lens shade does stand quite a bit away from the lens board and it closes (naturally).

Should I look at f8 lenses? the Nikkor 90 f8 seems to be a blessing with small size and large coverage.

I seem to have an afinity for architecture and idustrial sites, residence interiors and environment portraits. the longer lens is for portraits and Archeitecture shots where I want to reach past the 4 lanes of traffic in front of me. I guess the image circle wouldn't have to be nearly as large as the wide angles.

Any lens recommedations would be great.

Thanks again for your input,

Mitch
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern wide angle lenses and plasmat type taking lenses tend to be long.

If you want a short lens that will for sure fit, consider a 100/6.3 WF Ektar.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern wide angle lenses and plasmat type taking lenses tend to be long.

If you want a short lens that will for sure fit, consider a 100/6.3 WF Ektar.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you could get even an f8 90mm SA to close, the 5.6 is a beast. (the front element won't fit between the rails)

I've shot architecture for 20 years now and while I doubt I'd choose a Super Graphic, I wouldn't worry that every lens I had, had to fit inside the camera and have it close.

If you're going out to shoot, you'll be taking more than one lens anyway, so leave the 135 optar on the camera, pack the 65, 90, 180/210 in the case and head out. You certainly won't be using the rangefinder so don't worry about finding old cams to fit your new lenses, either.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You certainly won't be using the rangefinder so don't worry about finding old cams to fit your new lenses, either.

But if you do want to use the RF and its out of calibration follow this procedure:
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4647&highlight=super+graphic
Or if you need a cam try this one: http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4653&highlight=super+graphic

There is 21mm clearance between the lens board and the high point of the rails when the bed is closed and the narrowest width of the rails is 64mm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: