Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Century Graphic lens board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. That verifies what I thought to be true. Thanks again. Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievably, someone paid $69.00 for the lens board that started this thread: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290217297303&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Perseverence paid off for the seller. This, to me, is mind-boggling. Fred.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall a quote that went something like "There is a sucker born every hour (or maybe every minute)." Perhaps P.T. Barnum is the author?
Fred's post above cites evidence of the truth of that quote.

C. Henry
graphicdave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There's a sucker born every minute" is attributed to David Hannum, spoken in reference to P.T. Barnum's part in the Cardiff Giant Hoax. Hannum, who was exhibiting the original giant and had sued Barnum unsuccessfully for exhibiting a copy and claiming it was the original, was referring to the crowds continuing to pay to see Barnum's exhibit even after both it and the original had been proven to be fakes.
Ebay if full of both "Hannum's suckers" and those who prey on them. This particular seller, Camera$, has changed his name a few times and has always offered items at outrageous prices. He only has to find a few takers per week to keep the money flowing.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clnfrd wrote:
Unbelievably, someone paid $69.00 for the lens board that started this thread: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290217297303&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Perseverence paid off for the seller. This, to me, is mind-boggling. Fred.
Y'know, Fred, its competitive with the same thing from Grimes. We may all have to adjust to an, um, new reality.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just continure to use my home-made beechwood from Hobby Lobby lens board for the little Trioptar until something more reasonable comes along. New boards for 4X5's are selling in the $20's. Reminds me of when I bought a new 1965 Chevelle and wanted to drag race it. Regular Chevy parts wouldn't fit. You had to pay premium price for the odd-ball Chevelle rear-ends, etc. Same with parts for the 2X3 Graphics. Hard to find and pricey. Oh well, such is life. This too shall pass. Fred.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: 2x3 lensbd Reply with quote

Three pages just for lensbds......Geeze guys, what ever happened to good old fashioned Yankee ingenuity??
Fab your boards from 1/8" midwest poplar plywood, form a piece of 1/4" x 1/16" brass flat bar around the edge...both avail at the hobby shop....
use "Gorilla Glue" to secure the brass to the wood...avail at hardware and lumber outlets.....easy to drill and paint, and all for probably less than $10!
Have a nice day.........Bert
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Bert, you know we could have figured that out...in fact, I already did, only I used beechwood. Just having a little fun conversing about the games people play on wepay. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: