Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105mm Nikkor on Mini Crown Graphic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan....I don't know about the other guys, but to me, fish is food...not toys. The Bass Tournament trail and all the hullabaloo about "catch and release" is just to further their high-paid sport. A lot of fish caught in tournaments die after being released...a waste of a great food resource. I've been fishing for bass for many years...largemouth, if you please... and I love to filet and cook this god-given food source. Best regards. Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, on the one hand I'm a meat fisherman, so I'm with you.

On the other hand, I remember an innocent little Brook Trout, well under legal size, that hid under a rock in a little creek in the Allegheny National Forest. Poor baby grabbed the same salmon egg six times and was released six times before he figured out that grabbing a salmon egg and holding on wasn't a great idea. Never pricked him with the hook, which was probably a #16 and was entirely inside the egg. This was, IIRC, in 1958.
jan normandale

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fred, I just noticed your comment.

As a kid in Ontario, there was not much to do up north in cottage country during the summers except swim and fish. I learned to fish to pass the time. I ate fish and still do. I can remember friends from Michigan and Ohio coming up and we'd have a huge fish fry and roasted sweet corn during August. It couldn't get better than those times we had.

After I got married and had kids I needed a 'hobby' so after being away from fishing for 15 years I took it up again after being at my wife's brother in law in Vancouver BC. We went fly fishing and I didn't have a clue. I'd always used bait casting and spinning rods so it was a new experience. I liked it. From there I backed into that side of fishing. It's a lot like photography. You start with a small point and shoot to take holiday and family pix to put up on the wall. Next thing you notice you want a little better camera and decide to buy some better film because you want a nice photograph of the mountains or lake. Before long you see others with different cameras and then you are on a new tangent.

I still keep a few fish for the pan. I just don't kill them all. I put some back for the next guy. Besides if I have my limit I could be questioned by a conservation officer as to why I'm still fishing. I don't need that.

Dan, I've caught the same fish several time. Bass, pike and trout. I'm not sure if they shouldn't be bonked and eaten. Take the slow learners outta the gene pool so to speak ;D
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jan normandale wrote:

Dan, I've caught the same fish several time. Bass, pike and trout. I'm not sure if they shouldn't be bonked and eaten. Take the slow learners outta the gene pool so to speak ;D

But then the survivors' descendants will all eventually be too smart to take the bait, and then where'll you be?
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stories, guys. I will admit that I rarely keep anything four pounds or larger. (Largemouths in Kentucky Lake or Lake Barkley ). My favorite to keep for the skillet are the little Kentucky hybrids...much like a largemouth in appearance...but no limit on size. You can tell'em by the "teeth" on their tongue. I'm still trying to master the fly rod. Go to the Smokies and give it a try in the Little River between Townsend and Gatlinburg. My favorite approach is still the Garcia Ambassadeurs and 17-lb line. (And I snap a few shots of the whole affair with the trusty Century Graphic.) Good fishin' to you all. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: