Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Century 35 filter/cap size?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moopheus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Century 35 filter/cap size? Reply with quote

I just bought a Century 35, with the Kowa Prominar f/2.8 lens. Does anyone know what the correct filter and lens cap size are for this camera? My measurement is that it's 27 or 28 mm, but I was hoping someone knew more precisely.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Century 35 filter/cap size Reply with quote

Many of the Graflex camera lenses used the 1 1/4" or 31.5mm slip on adapter ring. While I can't say for sure that it is right for your camera, it might be worthwhile for you to measure the outside diameter of the lens mount to see if it is that size on your camera.
Also I seem to recall that there was a link for the Graphic 35 Owners Manual on this forum a while back. You might find the information you seek there.

C. Henry
Moopheus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sounds like it might work--the inner diameter seems to be about 1 1/8. I did find a pdf of the manual online but it didn't say specifically. It recommended a Graflex No. 8180 filter set, but no specs for it.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same Graflex filter set recommended for the Ektar 101/f 4.5 on my 2x3 Speed Graphic. It is a 1 1/4" Series V set. Personally I use Series VI filters with a Kodak 1 1/4 in. 31.5 mm adapter ring.

C. Henry
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, C.H. Are you sure you have a series FIVE 1-1/4" ring?? According to a brochure in my possession, "Kodak Filters and other Lens Attachments," dated 1-52, the largest-size series V slip-on adapter ring was 1-3/16". Series VI began with the 1-1/4" ring.

Moopheus, if it's truly 1-1/8" then it's definitely series V.

Last edited by Henry on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
C. Henry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry;

I have a Tiffen filter set that was supposed to be the same as the Graflex 8180 filter set. It is definitely a series FIVE filter set. I'm away from home for a few days but will check the set to be sure it has an 1 1/4" ring when I get home and let you know.
It is possible that the largest Kodak series V ring was smaller than the largest series V ring made by Tiffen, or that a Kodak 1 1/4" series V ring was introduced after the brochure you have was printed.

C. Henry
C. Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tiffen filter set has a Series #5 31.5mm adapter ring. This is the accepted metric equivalent to the 1 1/4 in. size, even though my math on the conversion factor indicates that 1.25" is 31.75 mm.

C. Henry
defoglesong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Tiffen and Kodak Series V adapters for my Century 35. Not sure if this will help, but I've put some pics of them up here:
http://www.foglesong.net/dave/photography/graflex35/index.html

I got these at a used camera store. They had a big bin of old filter rings and other parts. I just brought the camera in and tried a bunch until I found the ones that fit.

Dave F>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> 35mm Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: