Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large format backs - new tutorial article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of you know, those who are new to the large format field are often confused by the differences between the three types of camera back we often encounter.

I have just posted to my informational site, "The Pumpkin", a new tutorial article, "Large Format Camera Backs", available here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#LargeFormatBacks

It describes and distinguishes the three back types (with photographs) and gives insight into the historical evolution that led to them.

As always, I certainly welcome comments, corrections, or suggested additions to this article.

Doug
wclavey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice article covering something that I personally had to look a lot of places to learn.

I have a back for a Graflex camera that came to me with a box of other assorted Graflex parts (junk, as my wife calls it). It has 2 polished chrome sliders on it similar to but not the same as those on the Graflok back. These shiders are flat across the contacting edge, where as the Graflok sliders are "out-dented" (opposite of indented...?).

The sliders hold in place a 4x5 ground glass focusing screen mounted in a frame, with a pop-out hood. But to insert a film holder, instead of being able to slide it in beind the ground glass, you must release the sliders and remove the ground glass frame. The interesting thing is that the space where the ground glass frame is held is about 1/2 inch too tall for the 4x5 film holders (or any of the other accessory backs I have (rollfilm, Grafmatic, etc.)

So I'm not sure what this back is for. It mates to the back of the body of my Crown Graphic (I tried it) so I know it is for this family of cameras.

Any ideas?
troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a Gralfex back, as opposed to the more common Graphic. The Graflex back accepts the same film holder and accesories that fit cameras like the RB Graflex and were available for the Pacemaker. I have a 1950's model with such a back and they are listed in the Pacemaker catologue as an option. The GG panel is interchangeable with my RB Graflex SLR camera. Mine is excactly like the image of the back in the catalogue (the catalogue being a later version form the 1960's), and sounds like what you have with the double sliders that look sort of like a Graflok, but without the hooks for the removeable spring focus panel.
Hope that helps
wclavey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it might be it. I have no need for it... all the other accessories and holders fit the Graflok back, so it is just sitting here. It has no GG in it, so I can't even scavenge that. But it was :free" in a box of other Graflex stuff.

Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: