Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Century Master Studio Camera
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is proabably a sliding back intended to take two vertical format shots (likely "5x7") on a single sheet of film. Thus the aperture at that layer of the stack only really has to be larger than 4-7/8" x 6-3/4" (the actual dimensions of a "5x7" frame).

The 9-3/4" dimensions of the "gross" aperture are each the long dimension of an "8x10" frame (which is close to 7-3/4" x 9-3/4" in size), thus accommodating either vertical or horizontal orientation of an "8x10" back.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is proabably a sliding back intended to take two vertical format shots (likely "5x7") on a single sheet of film. Thus the aperture at that layer of the stack only really has to be larger than 4-7/8" x 6-3/4" (the actual dimensions of a "5x7" frame).

The 9-3/4" dimensions of the "gross" aperture are each the long dimension of an "8x10" frame (which is close to 7-3/4" x 9-3/4" in size), thus accommodating either vertical or horizontal orientation of an "8x10" back.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmigawd! I've committed a double post. Am I expected to resign, or will the Board of Governors expel me?

Best regards,

Doug

Doug
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES584 is the lens serial number. The "ES" means the year of manufacture is 1947.

The last two digits of the year are encoded as follows:

CAMEROSITY

I don't know where the serial numbers (if any) are on these camera bodies (I don't have one yet).

Best regards,

Doug

Doug
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Century Studio cameras were made (during the last portion of the Kodak era and of course after) by the "Graflex works", I would expect that they have a "Graflex" serial number (as does, for example, an Eastman View Camera No. 2A).

On the Eastman 2A and on a Graflex Crown View, the serial number is on the leftmost portion of the upper surface of the wood bar that forms the bottom of the yoke that holds the backhouse. One must tip the backhouse in the "top rearward" diection to get a clear view of it.

Of course, on the Century Studio configuration, there is not exactly this same part. But perhaps the serial number is in some comparable place, for example on the upper (inside) surface of the bottom of the outer backhouse. (Graflex is very fond of putting serial numbers on the inside of box panels.) Again, you would have to tip the inner backhouse in the "top rearward" direction to see that place.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug
Bluchip

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I may have found the serial #. It is on one of the sliding rails. It was right out in the open, engraved in the wood. Not exactly what I was looking for. Anyway here it is, 442543. Thanks for all of the replies.
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-12-20 07:32, Bluchip wrote:
OK, I may have found the serial #. It is on one of the sliding rails. It was right out in the open, engraved in the wood.

Excellent. Good to know.

Quote:
Not exactly what I was looking for.

In what regard?

Quote:
Anyway here it is, 442543.

You should probably ask for a date reading on that in the serial number branch of the forum. (If you ask here, the sanitation department police will chastise you.) Even if nobody has any serial number cross-references for this model, my guess is that the numbers are in the regular overall "Grafliex" series.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should probably ask for a date reading on that in the serial number branch of the forum. (If you ask here, the sanitation department police will chastise you.) Even if nobody has any serial number cross-references for this model, my guess is that the numbers are in the regular overall "Grafliex" series.

No, it would be most likely be overlooked. The complaints about post are the ones posted by the Kindergarden Droupouts that find the web site, see the help section and start posting. They are the ones that get upset when they find out that the Graflexes do not have an Auto mode, PHD button, or outsourced support to naive people with just a manual on a console screen to work from.
I am the anus that suggested the fourm for serial numbers and I am not upset that it was not named as I thought it should have been. (see post: http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=3625&forum=16&3.) I only posed the question then deleted some of my comments after the Serial number savy creation. Prior to this, request for serial numbers were spread throughout many fourms and were few and far between.

Now, this thread started and after nine post little information had been disclosed then I, the anus, ask a question and nine post later we and Bluchip know what he has. Scrolling thru the Serial number section there are two post with simular serial numbers in the title-428xxx, 1947 Crown; 414xxx, 1946 speed. With an ektar from 1947 and pictures that suggest the camera is all origional then one can conclude it is from late 1947 or first part of 1948.
If I had the space and bucks I would be looking for an 8x10 or 11x14 version.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-12-20 13:20 ]
Bluchip

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will be back with more questions as I try to get this all figured out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: