Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

date anniversary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHAVA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE DATE MY ANNIVERSARY SPEED GRAPHIC SER: 274891
OBJ CARL ZEISS JENA 135
TESSAR 135MM F:4,5
SER: 2608288
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual posts are not welcome here, CHAVA.
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-12-18 14:19, alecj wrote:
Dual posts are not welcome here, CHAVA.

Wow! And I just bought a Century 1A studio stand.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Chava,

Let me add my own welcome to the gracious good wishes already extended you on your first approach to this auspicious body.

Pretty soon somebody will probably remind you to check the house rules before posting. There aren't any.

Doug
troublemaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems lately rule number one is chase off any new folks by extending a generous dose of holiday cheer.
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug said: "Pretty soon somebody will probably remind you to check the house rules before posting. There aren't any."

Au Contraire, my friend. There ARE rules here, including prohibitions against posting FS and/or WTB ads.

With respect to my post, I believe the FAQ stating: " There are many members who still use 28.8 and 56k modems that do not have the time to wade through useless and senseless topics." applies. That's why a specific "Serial Number Savy" section was created, and he knew it because he posted there as well.

I don't consider that as unfriendly and the only persons to be chased off from here deserved it. Merry Christmas.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been an awful lot of responses lately jumping on new folks right off the bat, and rather than perhaps making a polite suggestion, however assertive, have taken to using rather disrepectful and or harsh language in making thier point.
How does the saying go, "Two wrongs don't make a right?"
I can continue, but I don't have time to go back and pull down a bunch of negative posts and embarass myself because of limited time constraints due to my archaic 56K. I will if necesarry, but for now just think about the words "not welcome" and see if you can fit that in with the idea of promoting interest, use, and preservation. At least I thought that was the idea around here.
It isn't this one post, it has become a pattern that seems to have gotten worse over the last couple months and conspicuously seems to parallel a fall in participation from a few individuals in particular, and new people in general.
Maybe CHAVA is not important to this site, maybe they are, but I trust you get the gist of my point; try being helpful as opposed to harmful.
CHAVA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry but i didnīt know the rules. My english is very bad and because i prefer in spanish.
Lo siento por si alguien se ha podido sentir ofendido, no sabia muy bien en que foro escribir mi duda por eso lo puse en los dos. Agradezco toda la informacion recibida . Un saludo.
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-12-18 19:31, alecj wrote:
Doug said: "Pretty soon somebody will probably remind you to check the house rules before posting. There aren't any."

Au Contraire, my friend. There ARE rules here, including prohibitions against posting FS and/or WTB ads.

Yes, I've seen that mentioned. Perhaps you could be so kind as to give me a pointer as to where these rules appear.

Thamnks so much.

Best regards,

Doug
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-12-19 08:40, Doug Kerr wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-12-18 19:31, alecj wrote:

Yes, I've seen that mentioned. Perhaps you could be so kind as to give me a pointer as to where these rules appear.

Thamnks so much.

Best regards,

Doug
Doug, look at the left side of the welcome page. "No Sales" is just below the helpboard link. Perhaps it should flash and be in bright red.

Cheers,

Dan
Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dan,

Quote:
Doug, look at the left side of the welcome page. "No Sales" is just below the helpboard link.

That's a pretty feeble presentation of a "rule" - especially one that, among other things, is said to prohibit "wanted to buy" messages.

Best regards,

Doug

[ This Message was edited by: Doug Kerr on 2006-12-19 10:33 ]
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As feeble as it may be, that is the way it has been around here since day one.

Dave
Dusty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHAVA it seems, by his/her own admission, is a little challenged with English. Our friend Alec should have been able to deduce that possibility from CHAVA's geographic location. So we have a newcomer here to these boards, baffled to whatever extent by a language barrier, who simply wants to get his camera dated. Since when should dual posts by otherwise unknowing newbies be met with the type of rudeness that Mr. Jones decides to unleash upon them? I do, however, believe that A.J. should be excused in that he probably had nowhere near enough coffee when he first responded to CHAVA. I, for one, have learned alot from his on-point posts over the years. I usually choose to ignore his curmudgeon posts.

Further, where does it say that dual posts are outlawed, aside from this "unwritten" rule of thumb being buried in the body of some remote posts in this boards' archives?
And the FS/WTB issue was begun only to keep up-and-coming Jedi saber builders in check when they overran the boards several years ago. No longer is that a very big issue here, what with all the ready-made, detailed, brand new replicas that are now available.

One issue that should be addressed (which our moderators Leigh & Les haven't really paid any attention to) is the spam that's been invading the forums for the past couple of months. What, if anything, is being done about this?

Let's let's not get our feathers all ruffled up over all the above mentioned triviality. Life is too short. 'Tis the season to be jolly. Easy Does It. One Day At A Time. At this time of year can we all stop and reflect upon those things that we have to be grateful for? That sure would beat flaming things up over such nonsense as dual posts and FS/WTB posts. If these are the biggest, most annoying issues that you folks are dealing with in your lives, then you might consider outpatient counseling before you suffer Major Mental Meltdowns.

Wishing all the Happiest of Holidays!!!

Cheers,
Dusty.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be nice if folks got the information they desire and whatever etiquette passed on to them in a repectful manner whether they need to know how to open a camera before listing it for auction (how would you like to get it broken?), or some specific tech info on a lens etc...
No, just be absolutely rude and then no none will have to deal with it anymore and four or five people can converse here.
I think it is a big deal, and if you like to live one day at a time, you may very well understand the concept that newcomers tend to be the most important part of most organizations.
I've been to those boards that experience regular flame ups, and that is not my intention, nor do I see it as constructive.
Think about what I wrote above, and understand it isn't this particular post, but a pattern; a pattern I don't like, nor would I think the folks on the receiving end of inappropriate comments. It isn't about rules, but if you want 'em, treat folks how you would like to be treated. The alternative is I keep writing.
Dusty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-12-19 16:33, troublemaker wrote:
If you like to live one day at a time, you may very well understand the concept that newcomers tend to be the most important part of most organizations.

I do live One Day at a Time and agree very much that newcomers are a definite lifeblood to us long-timers. They keep us grounded. In helping them, more times than not, we are also helping ourselves. I've been on this board under a couple of screen names over time but hardly a day goes by that I'm not picking up something new. It is thru the experience and wisdom of others that I've acquired my interest in, and proficiency with, Graflex cameras. I will continue to learn and I will continue to pass my experience on to others. Call me crazy, call me a walking, talking cliche, but this is my story, and I'm sticking to it.
All the Best,
Dusty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: