Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View II rollfilm back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post though I have followed the site for a long time. Just purchased View II on ebay and received same in good condition. Being a novice I'd like to practice with a Horseman 6x7 which I also purchased. However, duh, it will not fit under the focus screen. Any advice? Can anyone steer me to a place where I might buy a separate back or just the frame so that I can dedicate the RFH? The camera is also missing one or two knobs-on the front rise. Again does anyone have extras *******?
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep an eye out on ebay, every once in a while a graflok back will show up for the View I and II, it is a direct replacement and requires no modification, not common, but I picked one up a few months ago, but it was not cheap, other than that you will have to find a different type of roll film back such as one Calument made.

Dave
richard14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.
Have a great Holiday!
troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you varified that your View II has the Spring Back or the removeable Graflok Viewing screen with chrome slide locks for accessory backs(which most of the View II series came with)? If it is a Spring Back there wont be any chrome sliders or locking arms, just greenish-grey or silver-grey paint.
The Graflok viewscreen is removed by depressing the two chrome arms where they are ribbed and move the arms out from under the catch hooks. If this is so, be careful not to drop it.
IF you have the more traditional spring back, you can use the calumet style roll holders, polaroid and grafmatic holders without trouble, just hold everything tight against the camera when running the dark slides in and out to prevent light leakage...
When you are sure which back ison the camera, look close and see if the paint is the same on the actual rotating back and that of the front and back standards. Someone could easily have done a switcheroo on the back at some time as they are interchangeable.
If the back is not fitting snug (loose and rattles), loosen the two screws on the pin lock tabs, and re-snug them while holding the spring lock tabs forward...
I don't know if Rich has the manual for the View cameras, but he does for the Speed Graphics which also use the Graflok back. Check his site at South Bristol News for some worth while Graflex literature.

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2006-12-10 22:03 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that he says "It [Horseman 6x7 RFH] will not fit under the focus screen." Sounds to me like richard14 isn't aware that he has to remove the focus frame/screen, but is trying to wedge the RFH in there behind the hinged frame! Chances are that once he gets the frame/screen off, the Horseman RFH will work---assuming, of course, that he does have a Graflok back.
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I have owned 15 different View II cameras and 8 of them were delivered to me, with a standard spring back, now of course these could have been changed over the years, but the metal was the same finish as the front standards and such, so I would assume they were in fact shipped from the factory this way, the graflok is suppose to the normal on these cameras, but I don't always find the normal to be normal when dealing with graphic cameras.

Dave
troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, but good to make sure what he's got there. I have only had three of these, but IIRC, they were offered with either back for a while and then went all Graflok later...
richard14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all input. The back is indeed a Graflok but I couldn't figure out how to remove the focus screen and the manual didn't seem to cover this, although it is quite easily done when one knows how. Still need a couple of knobs-will make do with hardware substitute for now.
Thanks again, and to all a Merry Christmas!
Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: