Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x3 film size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mri_tech

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please forgive my ignorance. But is 6.5x9cm the same as the 2x3? If so, would it fit in a 2x3 sheet film holder? Thanks.
Tom
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-11-07 13:04, mri_tech wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance. But is 6.5x9cm the same as the 2x3? If so, would it fit in a 2x3 sheet film holder? Thanks.
Tom
No. Nominal 6.5 x 9 is a bit bigger.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem here is that so many abbreviations have been used, over the years, that you can't always tell what size really is being described. In many cases, too, the formal sizes were approximate.

"23" and the like is shorthand for 2¼x3¼-in. film, which was a standard size in the United States. This is a bit less than 58x83mm.

I believe the British had a standard 2½x3½ size, a nice feature of which is that you could cut four sheets this size from a single 5x7 sheet.

6.5x9cm. was a European standard size, a little larger than 2½x3½ ins.(2.56x3.54 ins.) I can't say whether this, in practice, was interchangeable with 2½x3½-in. film, but a Briton would know.

To make matters worse, not all nominal 2¼x3¼-in. film really was that size. Sheetfilm was, but pack films were bigger. 120 rollfilm yielded yet a third size. This made life interesting for those with enlargers that used glassless negative carriers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: