Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egg-shaped wheels . . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to shoot some motorcycle events with my RB Graflex and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the panning technique that creates an egg-shaped distortion on wheels speeding past the camera. There's a famous photograph made around 1910 with a Graflex-type large-format SLR that shows a racing car with egg-shaped wheels moving past a row of spectators who appear to be leaning in the opposite direction. I imagine it must have been made with a fairly slow shutter speed (no fast films back then) using the narrowest possible curtain opening, but I'm not sure. If anyone has tried this technique I'd appreciate hearing their comments.
Thanks,
Billy Canuck
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy;
It has been many years since I tried any panning of fast moving vehicles with my 2x3 Speed Graphic so my recolections may not be accurate.
As I recall it the smallest opening in the shutter curtain will produce the egg shaped wheels and the vertical lines of the vehicle leaning forward if the panning is slow or the camera is still. If the panning is right on the money there will be no distortion of the vehicle but the background objects will appear to lean in the oposite direction to the movement of the vehicle and camera aiming point.
Just try it and see how it turns out. Only experimentation and practice will show how to get the results you want.
I wish you good fortune on your efforts.

C. Henry
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello C. Henry,
Thanks for the detailed advice. I'm going to pack lots of film and try out your suggestions.
Billy Canuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: