Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic View

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadow1234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: shadow1234 on 2002-03-02 06:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: shadow1234 on 2002-04-12 17:43 ]

>delete<

[ This Message was edited by: shadow1234 on 2002-04-12 17:46 ]
Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crown View is a 4x5 version of the venerable Kodak 2D. I'm not saying the prices are out of sight , but the camera certainly is scarce. For function, value, and ease of aquisition, a Kodak 5x7 2D with a 4x5 back will do the same thing, will have better flare control, and a longer bellows than a Crown view and will be made by the same company (Graflex Inc, or Folmer Graflex) as the Crown View. these usually sell on ebay from $200-$300.
Granted it will be heavier and may open the door to 5x7 format, which, from your collecting penchant, may not be a good idea.

hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Graphic View II I would check out the various camera stores in your area or check for camera shows near you. I paid about $500 for my GVII with a 270mm lens and lens board, the GVII uses a 4X4 inch lens board so your lens boards should work with it.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a lensboard strong enough to hold a 300mm lens for a 4x5 view camera?

I use a 360mm lens on my homemade 4x5 view camera. The rear glass must be removed and attached through the back and bellows. The image is really bright on the ground glass!!! The lensboard I use is a Bender 4x4x1/8 inch black plastic lensboard. Any strong dark plastic should work. The hole size is about 2-5/8 inches in diameter. I made a plywood template and used my router with a guide to make the mounting hole. The lens weighs about 4 pounds. You can view it on my web site. http://www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto . It's shown mounted on my homemade 8x10 view. While you're there take a look at the 'Graflex Directory of instruction manuals' link.

Correction: Now I remember, I actually used a flush cutting router bit with a roller on its tip. The plywood template hole was subdrilled and then I used a round sander on a drill press to enlarge the hole to the exact diameter. The four inch square lensboard was centered over the template hole and blocked on all four sides. A 3/4" (+ or -) diameter hole was drilled through the plastic center to accept the router bit. Depth was adjusted so the bit roller would ride on the perimeter of the template and the lensboard was shimed so the cutters would cut through the full depth of the plastic. The template took about an hour to build and the routing took about 30 seconds.

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-02-20 11:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-02-20 11:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-02-20 22:03 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-20 11:49, hmartin@tns.net wrote:
Okay, a lensboard strong enough to hold a 300mm lens for a 4x5 view camera?

I use a 360mm lens on my homemade 4x5 view camera. The rear glass must be removed and attached through the back and bellows. The image is really bright on the ground glass!!! The lensboard I use is a Bender 4x4x1/8 inch black plastic lensboard. Any strong dark plastic should work. The hole size is about 2-5/8 inches in diameter. I made a plywood template and used my router with a guide to make the mounting hole. The lens weighs about 4 pounds. You can view it on my web site. http://www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto . It's shown mounted on my homemade 8x10 view. While you're there take a look at the 'Graflex Directory of instruction manuals' link.

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-02-20 11:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-02-20 11:55 ]
Nice site. Where were you standing when you did your Bridge of the Americas shot?

Cheers,

Dan
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan
I was standing on my cabin's private balcony. The cruise ship had just completed passage through the Panama Canal. The other side of the ship had a great view of Panama City.
Best Regards, Harry
extraparts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arlington Camera in Arlington Tx has a Crown View for $300. I don't know what kind of shape it is in, but from several feet it looked alright.

Neal
shadow1234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO: Neal-Do you have an email or land line
for Arlington Camera? I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Norman

[ This Message was edited by: shadow1234 on 2002-04-12 17:34 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: