Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flash shields

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tckane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to find more information on flash shields - more specifically where to obtain a shield and mounting bracket for 5" (preferred) or 7" reflector - either Heiland or Graflite compatible units would be fine.

I have found words of caution on this site and elsewhere re: using a safety shield when using near people, and wish to do so, but have been unsuccessful in my search thus far...

Are these units hard to come by? Are there any available alternatives?

thanks
Les

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Graflex flash shield fits on any 5" and many third party companies made them, some with a bit of diffusion in them to soften the shadows.
Yes they are elusive, best ask any of the vendors listed from the home page here, watch ebay, go to camera shows and be diligent.

Alternatives include flash bags-- a vinyl bag that fit over reflector, most of the ones I've seen were diffused on on side and either clear or clear blue on the other, pick the side that fits the situation.

While flash shields are a good idea, they are in the way when changing a bulb (that's their purpose) and in the 35 years I've used flash bulbs I've never had one explode. But I've never used off off brands. Always GE, Sylvania or Wabash.

If your camera has a Synchro Compur Shutter (like on the Crown Special) you need to cock the shutter before putting in a new bulb. The contacts are closed when the shutter is tripped. So the moment you put the flash bulb in it goes off in your hand and you'll leave your thumb print in the hot lacquer coating on the bulb.

Jim23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually made a flash shield for my 5" reflector by cutting a circle of Plexiglass 1" larger in diameter than the flach reflector. I used four stiff springs fastened on one end to the disk (with machine screws and washers) in four locations around the circumference and covered the springs with tips of fingers cut from an old rubber glove (to keep from marring the flash reflector). The loops of the spring catch the rim of the reflector allowing a 1/4" gap for the heat and smoke to escape (especially from Westinghouse NO. 5 flashbulbs). I did once have a bulb fall out of the flash and burn the carpet (back in the 1960's).
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les can tell you about his experience with his polyester leisure suit and flashbulbs. As I recall, the suit was the loser. Probably deservedly so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: