Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repairing 4x5 Series B shutter curtain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulEwins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently acquired a broken 4x5 RB Series B. The curtain has torn at the narrowest slit and I was hoping somebody could tell me the correct size of the slit.

The rest of the camera needs a lot of attention too, the biggest problem being that the whole back is missing. The wood around it is splintered and split, so that it looks like it was removed with a crowbar! Building a new revolving back from scratch is probably stretching my skills a little too far, but I think I could come up with a workable reversible back.

There's no lens or focussing screen either but at least they are easily replaced. I guess I can't complain too much as it cost me a whole six dollars.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a parts body and nothing more.
The series B was initally the Tele rebaged then some changes to the front standard were made. The Tele re baged have a front standard that moves out with rails at the bottom, the revision has a small bellows that extend form the center of the body front and are very common on ebay.
<font size =+1><B>IF</font></B> the shutter speed tag is still on the camera it will tell you the curtain slot widths.

In post https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=4172
Bert Saunders describes how to repair a curtain.

Charles

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-08-03 17:31 ]</font>

Last edited by 45PSS on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulEwins

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again the answer to one of my questions is surprisingly obvious! You are right about it being a parts body, but the good parts have already been taken. Every time I buy something for parts I end up trying to repair it instead. I enjoy the tinkering, so thats not a bad thing.

My latest "parts" Speed Graphic turned up without it's graflok back, but otherwise was in excellent condition and even had a bright rangefinder spot. I had a spare back (although no focussing panel) sitting in the parts box so that was reattached and it works just fine.
Stephen Furley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In post https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=4172&forum=11&9
Bert Saunders describes how to repair a curtain.

Charles

Charles, I tried to look at this to see if it could help with the problem with my 2x3 B, but all I get is a page which says 'Hacking Attempt'.

Stephen.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same result. The URL is faulty; remove "&forum=11&9" so the address ends with "topic=4172" and the page should come up. Don't ask me why! That URL just looked fishy to me.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since the board upgrade/retrofit all the old/previously posted links come up "hacker attempt".

(origional link fixed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: