Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens Filters for the Ciroflex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vart

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
I own a Ciro-flex Model D.
Does anyone know what kind or size of filters do fit to the Ciro-flex? I measured the lens its about 30mm diameter, is this correct?. I tried to look often on Ebay for the Ciro-flex orignial lens shade and filters but with nop luck.

Greets to everyone from Montreal,
Henri
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many Ciro's over the years and honestly don't remember seeing any hoods or filters for them, it they are around, then they are as rare as hens teeth...good luck.

Dave

Vart

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave

The Original Ciro-flex lens hood and filters are pictured in the book "Photography with the Ciro-flex" by Bruces Downes, and yes, it would be great to have them. I want to find a yellow filter that fits to my Ciro-flex, by measuring the diameter, is the way to do it?

Henri
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vart,

I would probably measure the outside diameter of the taking lens and see if you could find a slipon series holder that you could put a step up ring onto to attain the correct size for your yellow filter, Like I said, finding orginal Ciro stuff is probably going to be very difficult, I imagine if you have a little ingenuity, you may be able to fashion one.

Dave

ANDRE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct measurement is actually 31.5 mm. This was a very common barrel diameter a half century ago and Kodak made thousands and thousands of Series VI filter/lens hood slip-on adapters for it. A quick search of that auction site should produce more than a few. It was also the barrel diameter that Wollensak used for their popular 90mm wide-angle lens used on the Speed, Crown and Super Graphics. I use the same set for both my Ciroflex Model-A, and my Super Graphic.

Even though Series VI filters and slip-on adapters have not been made for a few decades, you should still be able to put together a usable set (31.5mm adapter, lens hood ad a yellow or orange filter) for under $10.00.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 31.5mm series VI slip ring also fits the 101 Optar and 103 Graftar, both widely used on the 2x3 Graphics. These rings used to be easy to find at camera shows, as well as the series VI filters. Since the series VI thread is 44mm, you could look for a 44-49 (or 44-52, 44-55) step-up ring and use these readily available filters. But these step ring sizes may not be so easy to find. Bonne chance!
douggrosjean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a handful of Ciro-Flex cameras. A couple came with filters. They were a slip-fit design, ie, where the filter holder fit over the taking lens it was basically a thin-walled aluminum cylinder that had been slotted / castelated so that it was a bunch of flexible fingers. Made by Kodak. Series V, maybe?

I also looked into adapting Cokin filters for the CF, going as far as to draw a design for a slip-fit adaptor that used an O-ring instead of the multi-fingers. But to make that part would've cost a bit, and when a Rolleicord turned up in a local camera store I picked it up and was able to find off-the-shelf items to fit Cokin filters to it. Lost all motive to fit filters to the CF.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, the use of step-up rings may not be such a good idea on the Ciroflex, as the larger diameter filters might be partially visible in the viewing lens. You may be stuck with hunting down some series VI filters (not series V, if the slip ring is 31.5mm [= 1-1/4"]; the largest slip ring in series V is 1-3/16").
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> CiroFlex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: