Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exposure for very dark scene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
400d

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with any large format camera.

I owned a handful of spotmeters before, some were broken (either by accidents or my recklessness) or sold. Right now I am using a Minolta Spot Meter F. It states it read down to EV 1. The problem comes when it's very dark, I am struggling with < EV 1. I can't tell the exposure using it, for example, I wouldn't able to tell what exposure to use for this pic without the 20D.

I did wonder if my spotmeter is broken, but switching to EV mode, it seems that it only tell me E (Error) while the EV is under 1. So I guess the meter should be fine.

I was thinking to sell the spotmeter F and get the Sekonic L-558. But at the last minute I changed my mind, I figured I could use graycard for flash exposure (I will use the spotmeter for flash purpose in the future), so I didn't get the L-558.

I am kinda confused...what should I do?
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you'll have to do it the way they did back when the earth was still cooling. An educated guess and lots of bracketing.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
chinweasle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-06-13 17:19, glennfromwy wrote:
Guess you'll have to do it the way they did back when the earth was still cooling. An educated guess and lots of bracketing.

That's how I do all my medium format stuff... I've done it enough I can get a good idea what I should be shooting at.
ImageMaker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option in the scene above would be to meter areas that are bright enough for the meter to work, and place them on the desired zone. For instance, you might be able to meter from the orange clouds, or some part of the nearby trusswork, and instead of expecting those to be Zone V, place them on Zone VI, VII, or even VIII (by exposing one, two, or three stops more than the meter reads from that part of the scene). In your scene, in fact, those values seem to be close to Zone VI (for the clouds) and Zone IV (for the lit areas of the trusswork), so if either is bright enough for the meter to register, you'll get at least some indication of exposure.

Otherwise, one rule of thumb I recall (for B&W films with conventional reciprocity failure curves like Tri-X) is that ISO 400 under common vapor street lamps requires about 1 minute at f/16 to record a well lit, but still obviously "night" scene. Color photography is obviously complicated by color shifts when reciprocity failure occurs, filter factors when correcting for color shifts, and reciprocity characteristics that vary wildly from one material to the next (unlike B&W, where 90% of the films on the current market can be treated alike for 90% of exposures over one second).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: