Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anatomical Grip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dioratus

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I would like to know if there is an anatomical grip for the Speed or Crown.
I have never seen it.
Are the grip Linhof adaptable.
I think not but...

Thanks for your attention.
jeff

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a grip designed for a Speed/Crown either, but have seen many cameras that have been modified to use them. I have a couple Linhof grips. Each of them mounts/attaches to the camera differently ( perhaps a Linhof user could explain why that is). One is right-handed, black, and will slide onto the bracket that came on a couple of my 4x5's, while the other is left-handed, white and only fits into a plate that some had screwed into a Century. Based on my experiences w/ them, I would suggest that any grip can be used, so long as you acquire the matching hardware/bracket/plate as well. I think many people use Graflex XL grips as well, but have no personal experience with them. One thing to keep in mind is that some of the prices on those grips is outrageous. I got one of mine for a decent price and the other one just came with a camera as a part. Anyway, I hope this reply is helpful and not too disjointed.
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Linhof grips are often adapted to other cameras, but you need to be sure you've got the grip and the mounting plate together, since there are several different types that were made for various cameras at various times. You just need to screw or bolt the mounting plate to the camera you want to use it on, and the camera needs to be amenable to that, as most press cameras are.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago at a local camera show I picked up a no-name grip that works well with my Century. They are out there if you look around enough. I've never seen one made by Graflex.
Dioratus

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-05-25 06:59, Henry wrote:
Some time ago at a local camera show I picked up a no-name grip that works well with my Century. They are out there if you look around enough. I've never seen one made by Graflex.

Yes, it is this kind of grip which I want because I do not want to damage my crown by making holes.
I want only to use the tripod socket on the left side. Is it possible with a linhof grip ?
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grip has the name "Alpex" on the strap attached to the handle, which appears to be some kind of plastic (Bakelite?) and has indentations for the fingers to grasp. The handle is held in the left hand, and on top of the handle is a standard accessory socket for flash. The heavy-gauge aluminum bracket, marked "Made in Japan," has two long slots with a sturdy knob with 1/4"-20 thread for attaching to the camera's tripod socket. Looks as though this grip could easily accommodate a 4x5; it sure works great on my Century, and invites me to shoot hand-held more than I do, which is seldom. Think I paid $5 for it.
alecj

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, your grip sounds like a copy of the grip Graflex DID MAKE for the Century. They first made it for the XL series. It was so popular they devised a mount so that the grip could be mounted on a Century. No, the mount for one will NOT fit the other.

The Century model was designed and will only fit the Century which is obviously 2x3. It will not, and there is no way to modify it to, fit the 45 series of cameras.

Incidentally, if your's is a copy of the Graflex model, you got it for a good price. The Century model is rare and usually costs much more than that.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, alec. When I think of all the good stuff I used to come across at the camera shows, it makes me long for a return to the good old days before uBuy. Glad I assembled my kit when I did; today it wouldn't be possible to do it the way I did, "up close and personal" across the dealer tables.
Dioratus

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your informations.
I have hope to find the grip which I seek.
RichS

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you're talking about cameras

I have to admit that I like and prefer the smooth grip supplied by a flash tube on the Graphics over an anatomical design. But I do go both ways with my grips... I have anatomical on my C330's and like that very much.

Now if anyone happens to know someone in manufacturing, there may be an oportunity here. It would be fairly easy to design an anatomical grip with the 1 1/2 inch tube on top & bottom to fit the flash mount of the Graphics. A hole for a cable release could easily be incorporated similar to the one on my C330. It would be very difficult to angle the grip, but it still might be a nice accessory? Just as easily, a standard flash shoe could be added to the top for electric flash or meter... Now if I just had some seed money....

Dioratus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

There is currently on ebay (7624949372) a Crown Graphic with a Linhof Grip, perhaps made by or for NASA.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a Linhof grip on one of my 2X3 Pacemaker Speeds. Be aware that the bed brace guides are right behind where the Linhof bracket wants to go. Short screws and care are needed.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Factory side handle for Century and Pacemaker 2x3 cameras on Ebay that started today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: