Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maco Genius Print Film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
primus96

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro Photographic in the UK sell this.
I was wondering if anyone had tried it as a camera negative film?
I am presently using Kodak 4125 Professional Copy Film re-rated to 12 ASA for pictorial results. The Kodak stock is deleted and I am onto my last 100 sheets! So therefore I am looking for a ultra slow film of less than 25 ASA.
The Kodak stock is superb for landscapes.
The colour sensitivity isn't an issue and the necessary long exposures are actually an asset when photographing in a tourist hot-spot like The Shambles in York, like 2 mins @ f22 on a dull January day.
You can imagine the effect a typical exposure of 1 sec at f16 has on a waterfall or steam escaping from a railway locomotive.
Can you see why I want to find a successor to this fine film?
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very favorite b/w film for 35mm work was the old Kodak Panatomic-X, ASA/ISO 32. I grieved when this superb emulsion was discontinued some years ago. An 8x10 enlargement from 35 looked like medium format. Next best IMO is/was Plus-X but it's not nearly slow enough for your purpose; still, a mighty good film. If I were still shooting 35 b/w I'd stock a freezer full of it (should have done so with Pan-X), as there's no telling when Great Yellow Father will tank its entire photo-chemical operation---sooner rather than later is my bet.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-05-03 14:22, primus96 wrote:
Retro Photographic in the UK sell this.
I was wondering if anyone had tried it as a camera negative film?
I am presently using Kodak 4125 Professional Copy Film re-rated to 12 ASA for pictorial results. The Kodak stock is deleted and I am onto my last 100 sheets! So therefore I am looking for a ultra slow film of less than 25 ASA.
The Kodak stock is superb for landscapes.
The colour sensitivity isn't an issue and the necessary long exposures are actually an asset when photographing in a tourist hot-spot like The Shambles in York, like 2 mins @ f22 on a dull January day.
You can imagine the effect a typical exposure of 1 sec at f16 has on a waterfall or steam escaping from a railway locomotive.
Can you see why I want to find a successor to this fine film?
You can also use a faster film and an ND filter.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read literature reviews of T-Max 100 claiming it had as fine a grain structure as Kodak's 25. Personally I prefer Fuji's Acros as it is nearly as fine but more forgiving in the development process andI find I have more control with it, but as mentioned above, I carry a 2 stop ND filter in my travel kit to slow things down should the mood require. Having used Graduated ND filters with many landscapes I have never had a problem with the extra stuff in front of the lens with color or B&W provided the front of the camera is well shaded.
As far as Maco, the only film of thiers I have used has been thier 820 infrared and found it to be a reasonably good product that behaved according to thier literature...
primus96

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very well chaps,but I did ask for any opinions of Maco Genius Print film in 4x5.

I wanted some pointers on getting a image with normal pictorial contrast.
I don't mind experimenting a bit, but some advice from a actual user would help me.

Using a copying film for normal photography seems odd, but experiments were well worth it with the Kodak 4125.
I am down to my last box of the Kodak 4125
It has given me some wonderful shots. The necessary long exposure time can be used to advantage in scenes containing moving water or steam/smoke, to quote two recent examples.
Oh yeah the Maco works out around half the price of the Adox/EFKE 25ASA emulsion.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, looks like you will have to run some tests and report back, unless someone who has used the film runs accross the post before you can try it.
The way film comapanies are going, we may all be scrambling to get our own tests done on Eastern European films in a couple years...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: