Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible light leak?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejkanter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just developed some of my first shots with the '48 Speed Graphic I just picked up.
They came out a little underdeveloped I think but it was also my first time doing sheet developing in a drum as my post below about drum developing shows.
The negatives was scanned in and adjusted a little in photoshop as they were underdeveloped.
Most showed some streaking like in this photo. Is this a possible light leak or problem with the shutter.
It was taken at f4.5 at 60/sec using the lense shutter as all of the first shots used the lense shutter.
Any suggestion or tips on what it could be?

Thanks,
Erick

[ This Message was edited by: ejkanter on 2006-04-17 07:20 ]
ejkanter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the original image before correction in photoshop.

sauerwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your drum have ribs in it? - are they spaced about the same distance apart as the lines on the negative?

If the film were put in the drum with the emulsion side out, I would expect it to be underdeveloped, and to have lines like that.
ejkanter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a unicolor 8x10 drum with the ribs on the inside and developed with the emulsion facing in towards the center of the drum.
I tried these using T-Max developer (250ml) at 68 degrees for 2 1/2 minutes as Kodak syas for a starting point.
The film is Tri-X 320 4x5 sheet.
I used the Kodak Rapid Fixer at 3 minutes.

Erick

sauerwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erick

I generally try to avoid film/developer combinations where the developing time is less than 5 mins - it helps with consistency.

When working with Tri-X tolerates overexposure very well, so what I often do is rate it at 200 ASA, and then develop in D-76 1:1 dilution, 68F for 12 mins - almost always gives printable negatives.

I am concerned about the lines that you have on the negs - they don't look like a light leak - I keep thinking that they have to do with the ribs in your developing tank, but if the film was loaded with the emulsion to the inside, then there shouldn't be that much of an effect.

If you wish to contact me off-list, please feel free to do so - mark_sauerwald@yahoo.com
ejkanter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
The sheets are being loaded into the drum with the notched section at the upper right, the same way it's loaded into the sheet holders. This is correct, right?
sauerwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My way of thinking about it:

If I am holding the film in my right hand, in front of me, with the long side of the film vertical, and I have my index finger on the notches, then the emulsion is facing me.
(It's wierd, I am usually a very visual person, but since the film handling is all done in the dark, I have to think about how it feels )
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejkanter,
Load the film holder with the notches on the right, load the developing drum with the notches on the LEFT!

If you are holding the fim with the notches on the right and you put it into the drum on the side closest to you then you have the elmunsion against the side of the drum.

Kodak Tech Pub. F-4017 says T-max developer Not Recomended and 2 1/2 minutes for T-Max RS for sheet films.

primus96

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are very much hit-and-miss to establish developement times for sheet film in various vessels.
But to avoid the streaks of uneven developement you need the emulsion side away from the ridges.
I don't use a drum to develope so I can't offer any more positive advice.
I would advise to make agitation (or rotation) very gentle and to use the maximum reccomended amount of solutions.
Are you developing for the same time as for 35mm on a spiral. Your sample images suggest a substantially under exposed or under developed negative of the order of 2 stops.
Shoot a test strip negative by withdrawing the dark slide bit by bit so you get a range of exposures, starting from 1/2 stop under to 1 stop over the meter reccomendation.
Develope for 50% more time than what you used last try and look at the negative.
If you have been developing 35mm and medium format you will have an eye for a well exposed negative.
If not post the result here and pick our brains.
ejkanter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a couple of more sheets last night using D-76 at 12 minutes as suggested and everything came out pretty good.
Nice exposure and clean detail. I think the T-Max developer at 2 1/2min was just not long enough and of course not recommened.
Thanks to all for great advice and help.

Now on to the next step of making prints!
Erick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: