Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macro lenses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
archer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody comment on the use of macro lenses on the crown or speed graphics? Is it practical to make greater than 1:1 and up to 1:10 images on the 4X5?
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the thread in SPEED GRAFFIC HELP titled MACRO Questions by iangrant.

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-20 20:01, archer wrote:
Can anybody comment on the use of macro lenses on the crown or speed graphics? Is it practical to make greater than 1:1 and up to 1:10 images on the 4X5?

I'm playing with that right now. I have a bunch of Tominon lenses for the Polaroid MP-4 and a shutter they'll screw into. The shutter is on a Graphic board. I also have a couple of Zeiss and Reichert macro lenses and have to have adapters made so I can screw them into a shutter. I already have adapters to use all of these lenses on a Nikon.

My first impressions are that the 17/4 and 35/4.5 Tominons are fine lenses. At 20 x and wide open, the 45/4.5 Zeiss Mikrotar is better than the 50/3.5 Reichert Neupolar is better than the 50/4.5 Tominon. Same hold at 8x. At 4x and wide open the 100/6.3 Neupolar is better than the 100/6.3 Zeiss, which is supposed to be (I have doubts) a Luminar. I don't have a 105 Tominon for comparison. At 1:1 the 100 Neupolar is better than a 4"/5.6 Enlarging Pro Raptar I got for shooting at 1:1, but f/11 - f/16 (have to shoot film to test) may be another story.

The limiting factors for photomacrography with Graphics are a combination of extension and focal length. The magic formula for extension (from film plane to lens' rear nodal point) needed to get desired magnification is:

extension = (1 + magnification) * focal length.

You can see that with a normal lens, the most you can get is 1:1. A Graphic's maximum extension is twice the normal lens' focal length. So if you want to get higher magnification you have to use a lens that is shorter than normal.

There is a section on high-magnification photography in the 1st edition of Graphic Graflex Photography, with a couple of spectacular shots taken with a Graphic and a B&L Micro Tessar.

So the short answer is, get some lenses and try it. Tominons and MP-4 shutters go for not very much on eBay, other large format macro lenses go for lots more. Polaroid sold a number of versions of the Copal #1 Press shutter. I like the MP-4 version most because it has an "open shutter" lever, the others just have a "T" setting.

Hope this helps,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: