Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown vs. Super Graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeannemarie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Crown Graphic with the 135mm Optar lens. I wanted an affordable field camera and had this one stored. The only drawback is that I would like to have the revolving back of the Super Graphic as well as a couple of other lenses. If I had the Super Graphic, I understand it has a focal plane shutter? Would it then be possible to use a shutterless lense I have for my Sinar 4X5? This is my first experience with Graphics.

[ This Message was edited by: jeannemarie on 2001-05-26 10:49 ]
LelandRay

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Would it then be possible to use a shutterless lense I have for my Sinar 4X5?"

Yes, you could use a shutterless lens, but because of the room the focal plane shutter takes up inside the camera, you might find yourself unable to use short lenses, i.e. under 90mm. And of course you wouldn't have the range of movements of the Sinar, but you'd be able to shoot offhand, which a standard view camera can't do.
stephen

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Super Graphic does not have a focal plane shutter.
jeannemarie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen, From what I have read, a Super Speed Graphic has an electronic shutter, which may not be a focal plane shutter, but should give the ability to use a barrel lens. (I think)

Leland Ray, The lenses I have for my Sinar are, 90mm, 150mm, and 210mm. I think I should be OK? What am I missing, if anything?

Thank you both for your replies.
alecj

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stephen, From what I have read, a Super Speed Graphic has an electronic shutter, which may not be a focal plane shutter, but should give the ability to use a barrel lens. (I think)"

No, the Super does NOT have a focal plane shutter! No barrel lenses can be used. The only electronics on the camera are associated with the electronic shutter RELEASE. Sorry.

Since you have not taken the time to review the mainboard descriptions of the various models [highly suggested] I'll save you the time now. Just click here:
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#FocalPlane

jeannemarie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alecj, Yes, thank you, but I have already read it. This is for the Speed Graphic It says... "An advantage of having a focal plane shutter is that you can also use barrel lenses (lenses mounted without shutters)." I guess I intended to say Speed Graphic, not Super Graphic.That is why I wondered about the feasibility of using lenses I already have. Maybe I could modify the lensboard?
alecj

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you'd better read it again. If you don't use the right terms, we can't help you. Speed, and Super Speed are NOT the same thing. Now that you're back to talking about the Speed, you don't have the availability of the rotating back. So, what is your REAL question?

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2001-05-27 13:18 ]
jeannemarie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Alecj, you got me. Maybe you can explain the difference to me in the focal plane shutter and the electronic shutter that the different models have. I really did read the info and have as yet to find where it compares the two. Maybe they are horses of another color? Not being as familiar as you seem to be with the Graphics cameras in general, my impression was that they served the same purpose. What I was looking for in the first place was an affordable 4X5 field camera with some kind of rotating back that could possibly utilize the Schneider lenses that I already have for my Sinar studio camera.I happened to have a Crown Graphic I've never used and thought something like that may be an alternative for the nature and scenic stuff I shoot.....OK? But the Crown doesn't have a shutter and my Schneider lenses don't either. I have a separate Copal shutter I use with them. I was just looking for alternatives. Maybe it's an impossible idea.
alecj

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking this off the board since it's obvious we aren't going to solve this anytime soon. Hell, I don't even understand the question yet. Like dealing with my wife!

But I'm trying, and trying, and ......

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2001-05-27 16:33 ]
beck

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec j, I'd like to thank you for being friendly and helpful. It's great when one comes across someone who can share information in such a non-patronising way. Your wife is a lucky woman to have your company, you clearly love and respect her. It's forums like these which make possible our access to your infinite wisdom; we are truly blessed that you have taken the time to post. I can't think why large format male photographers have such a dreadful reputation for being arrogant bores. You have proved the complete opposite, alec j.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-05-27 14:20, jeannemarie wrote:
Ok Alecj, you got me. Maybe you can explain the difference to me in the focal plane shutter and the electronic shutter that the different models have. I really did read the info and have as yet to find where it compares the two. Maybe they are horses of another color? Not being as familiar as you seem to be with the Graphics cameras in general, my impression was that they served the same purpose. What I was looking for in the first place was an affordable 4X5 field camera with some kind of rotating back that could possibly utilize the Schneider lenses that I already have for my Sinar studio camera.I happened to have a Crown Graphic I've never used and thought something like that may be an alternative for the nature and scenic stuff I shoot.....OK? But the Crown doesn't have a shutter and my Schneider lenses don't either. I have a separate Copal shutter I use with them. I was just looking for alternatives. Maybe it's an impossible idea.

1) every Speed Graphic has a focal plane shutter

2) the Super Graphic is NOT a Speed Graphic. It does NOT have a focal plane shutter.

3) the Super Speed Graphic is a Super Graphic fitted with a normal lens whose leaf shutter's top speed is nominally 1/1000. The Super Speed Graphic does not have a focal plane shutter.

4) if your Sinar lenses will screw into a Copal shutter, you can use them on a Crown Graphic (1947-on Speed Graphic without focal plane shutter) or Super Graphic by mounting the Copal shutter on the appropriate board.

5) the names Graflex put on their cameras can confuse a little. clear?
jeannemarie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, Yes it can be confusing, especially when (like me) you aren't familiar with Graflex in general. Unfortunately, I don't think your suggestion will work.The Copal shutter is way too large to fit on the Crown Graphic and the Crown also doesn't have the rotating back I was hopeing for. I think I have resigned myself to look for a lightweight 4X5 or 5X7 field camera and disposing of my Sinar and lenses.
LelandRay

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeannemarie, let us know what you decide to do re a field camera. I'm sort of in the market myself for something lightweight and not terribly expensive, so I'll probably be looking on eBay.

I actually bought my Speed Graphic to use as a candid portrait camera. (Yes, I'm weird, but I get really big negatives of my subjects.)
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we've moved off the Graflex topic I"m going to post my two cents on field cameras in the large format forum

jeannemarie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leland, I don't find that weird at all. I think I'm going to play with the Sinar some more before I decide what I want to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: