Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using small bulbs in the Graflite.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen Furley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several Graflite reflectors, both 5 inch and 7 inch types, and adapters to use the 5 inch with 'M' type, AG and Philips PF type bulbs.

Using 'M' type bulbs does not seem to be a problem, the bulb in its adapter, is just about the same length as a No. 5, and so aligns correctly with the reflector.

Using AG bulbs causes problems. The bulb in its adapter is about 12mm shorter than it needs to be to align correctly. My 5 inch reflectors seem to be of three types:

Most are adjustable, the reflector can be moved forward fron the standard position by about 9mm, but cannot be removed from the bulb holder.

One is similar, and carries the same number, but the reflector can be moved back from the standard position, but can not be moved forwards.

One looks similar, but the bulb holder is slightly different, and it carries a different number, I am typing this at work, and cannot remember the numbers at the moment. On this model the reflector can also be moved forwards, but not back, from the standard position, and if moved forwards and then twisted slightly, can be removed from the bulb holder.

I therefore have five 5 inch reflectors, four of which allow the reflector to be moved forwards, and one which allows it to be moved back. I never move the reflectors to adjust the angle of the flash, I only use flash with standard or moderately wide lenses, but by using the one where the reflector can be moved back, and by pulling the bulb forward by about 3mm, I can just about get AG bulbs to align correctly.

Why are there three types of reflectors? Is the one where the reflector can be moved back normal, or has someone modified it at some time? Is it possible for me to modify the others?

Some versions of the Graflite manual, later ones I think, list an adapter for 'M' type bulbs, which includes its own reflector. I have never seen one of these, were they ever made? Do the offer any advantage over the normal 'M' adapter in the 5 inch reflector?

I have never been able to find the Graflex diffusers for the 5 inch reflectors, the difusing material sold in rolls seems to be too heavy, about 2.5 - 3 stops? Any idea where I might find Graflite diffusers?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: