Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you remember?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertmirage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a new user to Graflex and large format photography. I recently purchased a mlitary PaceMaker Speedgraphic, and after reading the TM(army manual), and spending hours on this site trying to pick up whatever techniques I could, I got up enough nerve to give the camera a try.

So, here's the question...Do you remember the first sheet of film you exposed on your Graphic?

For me, it was exhilerating.
After figuring out how to load the film (and hoping I didn't put them in backwards) I unloaded my Nikon F4 from its' camera bag, and loaded up the camera and film holders.
I made it up to the Superstition mountains, and hoped the poppy's would be out. No poppy's, but just another reason to go back later.

The picture would have taken me 20 seconds with my digital, I would have had it on autofocus, and would taken about 5 frames.

But this first pic took 5 minutes with my Graphic. I actually had to think about f-stop, speed, opening the shutter to focus,composition, putting in the film holder, closing the aperature, pulling the dark slide, and with much anticipation, released the shutter.

Anybody else remember the thrill of their "First" with a Graflex?
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being used to all manual cameras, the Speed Graphic was just another one, but bigger. I was just thrilled that everything worked and I got anything at all. The big negatives are pretty impressive, I have to admit. Those can be pretty thrilling.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
djon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big kick was tray processing (and successfully!) my first sheets of 3X4.

Actually wasn't such a big deal after my mother (dead 4 yrs at 84) taught me (age 8?) to process 616 in a measuring cup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: