Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Flash frustrations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quiver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to get a graflex flash gun to work and am running into a large snag. The side posts on the flash are gone so I am using the household plug. When taking a voltage reading from the household plug across the flash body I should read a voltage potential. I somtimes see this and somtimes I don't. The test button works with no problem. The problem is that when I don't get a voltage the tube warms up indicating a short though this doesn't always happen. Other times I see voltage leakage. When I touch the camera and hold the flash with the sync corde pluged in the needle does deflect. Other times Murphy is spending special time with me. I attach the flash to the camera and the voltage reading from the household plug accrost the tube disappears and the flash body does not warm up. I have taken apart the electrical parts three or four times and can't figure out how the flash works (yes I do know about electricity). their is no path from the positive contact of the battery to the center post that I can find and the switch for the lamp seems to be designed to short the battery out when you turn the lamp off. The switch doesn't appear to be insulated from the flash body so is a path to ground. When switched off the contact leaves the side of the lamp base and comes entirerly too close to or comes in contact with the copper strip that contacts the positive battery terminal. So the fact that these units worked at all is magic. The thing that I'm having trouble comprhending is how somthing so simple can be as buggy as hell.

P.S. Any ideas for fixing this flash gun would be very greatly appreiciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: