Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tintype Parlor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeithNP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the tintype parlor kit?
It can supposedly make 5 4x5 tintypes in standard 4x5 cameras. However, you have to have a darkroom to pour your own emulsions.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate a bit more? Who sells it?

Is it really wet plate?

I've seen what happens to wet plate cameras and plate holders over time. It's nothing I want my nice riteways near.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a tintype plate years ago--it was developed in a tray just like a film negative would be---worked fine--dont know if it is the same type--do remember that I bought it thru Porter's Camera Store catalog! All that it was, was a tin plate with
an emulsion on one side--came out like a sepia toned photo! Bert
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's 'dry' I'd be very interested!
That tin plate, was it negative or positive? Or does a negative image look positive if on a tin plate? There's an old memory cell trying to light up, but I think it's past it's time

Anyone know where we can get more info on this???

Rich...
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tintype is "a photograph made on black japanned [i.e., enameled] iron." It was a variation of "the ambrotype, a thin negative on glass [which], when placed on a black background, appears as a positive picture. In the tintype, the base (sheet iron) and black background are combined, the collodion film being formed on the black smooth surface of the japanned metal." Mention of collodion means that the process, at least in its original form, was wet. Source quoted: Robert Taft, Photography and the American Scene (New York: Dover, 1964 [reprint of original 1938 edition]), p. 153. Like the ambrotype, the tintype will appear as a positive or a negative depending on the angle of view.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from 1929 until a few years ago, there was a tintype studio in Greenfield Village. It was very much wet plate, and while the ingredients were commonly know, the amounts and order was kept a secret. I made some feeble attempts at it but didn't really have my heart in trashing film holders with collodion.

the demise of the stuidio was three fold. Jappaned plates were hard to find and expensive (the last batch was black enameled aluminum so save on costs and foil resellers trying to pass these off as orginals)

the lack of college students willing to spend their summer in a 4x6foot darkroom with silver nitrate.

OSHA having a big problem with students spending their summer in a 4x6 foot darkroom with silver nitrate--and no ventilation.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I looked at a Porters catalog,
they still sold "Liquid Light" and "u-spread photographic emulsion"
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-09 04:57, Henry wrote:
A tintype is "a photograph made on black japanned [i.e., enameled] iron." ...
snip
... the tintype will appear as a positive or a negative depending on the angle of view.

Arrr, there goes that memory cell again

Thanks! I knew that a good 30 years ago... Somehow I remembered it as being on a shiny or mirrored surface though. Guess I should start rereading those old books
And it's sparked a whole new train of thought about creating tintype-type negatives using the liquid emulsion readily available. Now that would be fun with the Graphic...

And a P.S. I found the company selling the 'Parlor Kit' at: http://www.rockaloid.com/products.html
Sounds very interesting. You have to coat the plates yourself. They are dry. And apparently uses a special reversing developer. I may have to give this a try...

Rich...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2001-12-09 15:28 ]
KeithNP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I thought you had heard of it. Yes, its a dry plate process, but you have to pour your own emulsion. Therefore you need a darkroom (which I don't have). Aparently you can work under safelight, so the emulsion can't be *that* sensitive. It's available at one of my local Pro camera stores, and online at the Rockaloid site. (I think it also has downloadable/printable instructions, so you can get an idea of things without buying the kit)
-Keith
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My darkroom is the bathroom--the wife has hollered at me for over 20 years--but with the shower for drying negs, and the enlarger on the dresser---she has to be content with the other bathroom--got hot and cold running water, a counter for the trays, and a lock on the door! Hog heaven!!
Bert
Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and your archival film/print washer is made by Kohler no doubt!
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah Les--Thats to fancy--I use the sink--it has an overflow, and I can process about 4 prints at a time! Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: