Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grafmatic number wheel.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sjixxxy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that the numbering wheel on one of my grafmatics is behaving badly. last six I ran through it all got stamped with a '3', and as I play with it now it seems to be turning, but about half as far as it should per click, if it even moves at all.

Anyone have a copy of the repair manual, or have any ideas how to get the wheel running properly?
alecj

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember someone responding to a similar post in the past with instructions on calibrating that number wheel. Try the search feature on this list, and the Old Helpboard list too.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody is selling Grafmatic repair manual reprints on eBay, in the large format category. They don't come up every day but patience will out. I have one with a wheel that doesn't turn at all, but then, I don't care.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:47 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Camera has a bound set of reprinted service instructions for both sizes of "Grafmatic" and just about all the rollfilm holders.

In the "Grafmatic" section, there's a list of Troubles, Causes and Remedies. Like most of the Graflex manuals I've seen, this one isn't exactly luminous, and the "Remedy" too often is "replace" a part you can no longer obtain.

For what it's worth, when the Trouble is,

"Counter dial does not advance when septum is changed -- jumps back and forth,"

the suggested Causes include:

> Detent spring broken or missing,
> Detent missing,
> Detent spring unhooked, or
> Slide stop spring weak, broken or missing.

The proposed Remedies are, respectively,

> Replace spring;
> Replace detent;
> Hook spring (I could have guessed that one);
> Replace spring

I haven't ever taken any of my "Grafmatics" apart, so I don't quite know what these descriptions refer to. The exploded views can be interpreted to allow imagining the "detent spring" as a coil spring with one end bent out to engage a hole in the detent; and the detent itself as a small tapering strip with rounded ends.

Sjixxxy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just post my "Spam" e-mail account that I use for registering certain sites that I suspect would release the address, and oddly enough, has yet to receive a spam e-mail.

amispamSPAM@six-something.org just remove the second all caps spam. No limit that I've been able to reach on my inbox. Send a copy when you get time. Thanks.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked through my files and I don't have the service manual. The instruction manual does have the parts blow-up and that may help a bit...

So, if someone could scan the service manual, I'd be more than happy to add it to the rest of the manuals on my site...

If you can make a PDF, that would be great. If not, you could zip up the scanned pics and I'll assemble a PDF out of them...

Thanks!
Sjixxxy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. it is a 45 grafmatic. The version that locks up completly when set to 'X'
Sjixxxy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started digging after receiving the service instructions and found that the adhesive that binds the little magnet that rotates with the counter to the actual number wheel had failed. Temporarily adhered them back together with some Scotch framing tape and reassembled the unit. Number wheel is functioning properly again. Now I'll just take it back apart and use some real glue on it and no longer be confused which sheet matches which notes anymore.

Now to see about getting the locking disc to actualy stay in position.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:48 ]
MikeS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All.

I know that lots of folks here hate the numbering wheels, and routinely remove them from their grafmatics. I on the other hand love having the number wheel on a grafmatic! Unfortunately on a couple of my grafmatics still have the wheel, so I was wondering if any of you folks that have removed your wheels kept them, and if so would want to part with them?

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dismantled my grafmatic because the numbering wheel was not turning at all (and a couple of small pieces were rattling all over the place.

The system is magnet operated. There is one tiny magnet (in strip form) attached to the nymbering wheel and another one to the nut holding the main index wheel. The one that can easily fall off is the second one. If you pull out the dark slide you can check if the nut holding the main wheel is visible or not. If you can see it then the magnet has fallen off. Just check if somewhere in the back if there is a small metal piece about 5 mm long. This goes in the slot of the bolt. Over it you place a washer (paper) (or if you cannot find it just some sticky tape).

Adjusting it is a different story. You need to take the numbering wheel off and reposition it (I still need to do this on my back since it starts numbering from #3).

If something is not clear just letme know and I'll post some photos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: