Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GALVIN 2X3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauliefrog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ACQUIRE A MINT GALVIN 2X3 ON A 9 INCH RAIL.ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS CAMERA?PROS AND CONS?THANKS.PAUL.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Galvin is a dandy little view camera, and can be appreciated for its fine design and construction. As a practical matter, the issue that always dogged it (and other 2¼x3¼" view cameras) is that they are not orders-of-magnitude smaller than the more compact 4x5 designs, but they are much more limited in the kinds of sensitive material you can use with them.

In concrete terms, considering a choice between (way) the Galvin and a 4x5 "Graphic View," I think you'd only be better off with the Galvin if you wished to work exclusively with 120 rollfilm...

...but the Galvin would be a wonderful conversation piece!
danimal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pauliefrog,
for view camera work I'd go with the Glavin. The 4x5 view cameras are designed to use longer lenses and don't work as well with short glass because the front and rear standards have to be jammed together so closely. I use a 6x9 rollback in my Graphic View II and I often wish that I had a purpose built 2x3 view camera for that reason
Dan
PS: Use the shift, Luke!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: