Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not blinded by the light

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all accounts this really neat, really cool flash had an output of a mere 100 watt seconds.

Can anybody tell me what current/modern flash unit is rated at 100 ws? or is there a (rough) conversion from Watt seconds to lumen seconds, to Guide numbers?

I'm trying to figure out just what I'd get out of this should I try to make a power pack for it.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2004-07-09 15:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2004-07-09 15:19 ]
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-09 14:55, Les wrote:

Can anybody tell me what current/modern flash unit is rated at 100 ws? or is there a (rough) conversion from Watt seconds to lumen seconds, to Guide numbers?

You can get some small studio strobes at 100ws. The way it was explained to me you can't simply convert. 100ws is a measure of the amount of power going in. GN is a measure of the light going out. The reflector matters. How good the strobe is with using power.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want a very rough number Adoroma shows a 100ws strobe and claims a GN of 105.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I knew the efficiency of the electronics, polished reflector, even the size and color of the room effect the GN, I was just looking for a 'ball park figure" and you gave me one.

And it's what I feared

So I would have a flash that weighs 5 pounds with a pack that would weigh at the very least 8 pounds and produce a guide number equal to or less than a 283 Vivitar with 4 penlights which has a guide number of 120.

But I'd look real cool doing it! :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2004-07-09 18:36 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-09 18:36, Les wrote:
Yeah I knew the efficiency of the electronics, polished reflector, even the size and color of the room effect the GN, I was just looking for a 'ball park figure" and you gave me one.

And it's what I feared

So I would have a flash that weighs 5 pounds with a pack that would weigh at the very least 8 pounds and produce a guide number equal to or less than a 283 Vivitar with 4 penlights which has a guide number of 120.

But I'd look real cool doing it!

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2004-07-09 18:36 ]
Um, Les, I have two 283s, also a Minolta Flash Meter. Yes, the original one. The meter says the 283s' full power GNs are 80 and 90. You should know better than to believe most manufacturers' published GNs.

Cheers,

Dan
office888

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangest electronic flash unit i've ever seen, yet somehow it lures me into the drooling ebay frenzy for one...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: