Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

65 mm Angulon on Baby Pacemaker Speed Graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I can provide a bit of information here.

I have a couple of baby Speed Graphics; one is a Pacemaker and the second is the pre-Pacemaker type (original model, I'm not certain what the terminology is for the older one). In both case I measured 55mm from the groundglass to the rear edge of the lens board.

I have a 65 mm Angulon; in principle, the lens should focus at infinity on both cameras. In practice, the lens is considerably easier to use with the Pacemaker 2x3.

The complication comes from the differences in construction between the two cameras. With a flat lensboard, the lensmount must be within the camera body to focus at infinity. With the Pacemaker, this is trivial as the focussing rails inside the camera body move when the focussing knob is turned (the sportsfinder can't be raised however). Using the groundglass, I find a location for the lensboard that is focussed at infinity then use the focus knob in the normal way. Things are more complicated with the older camera.

With the pre-Pacemaker Speed Graphic, the rails inside the camera body are fixed and, consequently, don't move when the focussing knob is turned; only the outer rails change position. It is possible to find a location along the rails where the lens does focus but one can't fine-tune the image focus in the normal way.

There would seem to be two potential alternatives to using the Angulon with the older camera. The simple one is, using a flat lensboard, to set the lens at infinity and rely on the considerable depth of field inherent in this lens. This is less limiting than it might at first sound as a common use of such a wide angle lens is for landscape photography in sunlight. Fast film, and its consequent large f-stop, and a distant subject could make this a workable solution. I did something similar to this today with a 90mm lens on a 4x5 Crown - just set the lens at infinity focus using the groundglass then shot a number of landscape exposures using the camera in a sort of "fixed focus" mode.

The second possibility, of course, is a recessed lensboard. The dimensions are tight but it can be done. In a flight of whimsy some time ago, I decided to see if I could use my enlarger lenses on the older Graphic, taking advantage of the focal plane shutter. I machined a deeply recessed board and actually managed to focus a 50 mm el-Nikkor -didn't cover the entire negative, of course.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the camera is an early model 2x3 speed graphic it will have a spring back not a graphlock back. This back may not work with the po;aroid back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: