Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me identify this Graflex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendy O

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, can you identify this Graflex and give me as much information on it as possible (more than just model/year)? Do you have any idea what lens it has from looking at the photo and knowing what model it has? I know it took 5x7 film and was a very early model - some were issued by the Army, and it most likely has whatever lens it came equiped with.

I am looking to buy one just as shown, and I would like to make sure I have all the information I need to do so.

http://www.serveralt.com/graflex.jpg

Thank you, Wendy

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model is a Home Portrait Graflex. I can't tell from the photo if its the middle series 1916-1928 or the later series 1929-40.

The Graflex name on the chimney suggests it's the later style, the lens SEEMS to say "Jena" at about 4 o'clock and "1:4.5" at about 3 o'clock.

That tells me the lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar. I can't make out the focal lenght.

Lenses on Graflexes was like radios in cars today. They listed several in each of their catalogs (obviously the listings changed many times between 1912 and 1940) plus you could have just about any lens you wanted custom fitted on your new Graflex.

Can you date the ad this picture came from?
Wendy O

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wan't from an ad, it was from an article about someone who used the camera.

Did this camera also come wth Kodak lenses? Are you pretty sure it's a Zeiss lens? From the photos I have seen taken with it, that would make sense. I can usually spot photos taken with Zeiss lenses.

Is this a hard one to find in working order? Is it a very desirable camera? Do you have any suggestions other than e-bay where I might find a nice one?

Thanks, Wendy
Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not sure as the writing on the lens just isn't that sharp. The speed of the lens looks like f4.5, and infact the physical size of the lens confirms that. Near there the word LOOKS like Jena. Jena is the town were the Zeiss factory was, so you won't find a "B&L Jena" lens

I am certain that it's a tessar, as only Taylor Hobson Cooke sold another f4.5 lens and this doesn't look like a THC.

Kodak did sell a Kodak Anastigmat that could be bought with this camera (1912 catalog) But by 1919, it was only Bausch & Lomb Tessars that were listed. (they were the 6x8 and 8x10 Tessars with a 9 7/8" &11 7/8" focal lenght respectively)

B&L Was the US franchise for Zeiss, so they could use the name Tessar, When B&L made lenses for kodak, or Kodak made them under liscense from B&L they couldn't use the trademark Tessar, so they used the older name, Anastigmat. So a KA f4.5, a B&L Tessar or a Carl Zeiss Tessar will be the same lens.

And any perceived difference in quality would be lost in the halftoning process.

Ebay, camera stores, large auction houses, even the internet's vast holdings of chat rooms and list serves is where I'd set my sights.

These were expensive cameras to buy ($177 when Henry Ford Doubled his workers' wage to $5 a day)and not many sold, so while there may not be a great demand for this camera, the value will be greater than for a common, Series B, or Series D. Also finding one with a B&L Tessar would be the easiest, and you'd do well to get any of this model in decent shape and then go looking for a Zeiss lens and marry the two.

These were also the basis for the Big Bertha cameras--Home Portaits mounted on large bases and fited with 20, 30 and 40 inch Dalmeyer lenses, so many were heavily modified in the 40s and 50s.

Do a post auction search on ebay and you'll find a body only HP Graflex that sold for $375.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2001-11-09 11:51 ]
Wendy O

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. You have been very helpful!

Wendy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: