Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto Graflex Purchase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi-
I have the chance to buy a fairly good Auto Graflex for $80.00. The shutter works, it has a bag type magazine and the lens and bellows are in good shape. Is it worth the money? Could I make a profit off of it in a couple of years when I tire of "playing" with it (this way I can tell my wife it is an investment)?

Thanks for your input.

Dave Yingst-Graphic User
Hoping to acquire my first Graflex
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention the format -- 4X5 (or 2¼X3¼) would be a better buy than 3¼X4¼, just because of film availability -- nor the lens equipment, if any; but, in general, I have seen similar cameras in worse shape go for higher prices.

I don't know that anyone can predict the future "collectible" value of anything; it seems to rise and fall with the rate of inflation, investor confidence, and perhaps the sunspot cycle. I don't think you'd lose money on the deal, and you could be having a lot of fun in the meanwhile!
worldphoto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never use the 'for investment' routine with my wife, because I could never live it down! Perhaps first, I would buy her something worth a lot more than $80.00 and then, as an after thought, mention the camera.
If you can not afford that..... Don't Buy It.

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-04-26 09:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-04-26 11:48 ]
Les

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $95 for a 3x4 and found out it needs a new shutter. Didn't come with film holders or anything.
flyingy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention the camera is 4x5. About the only thing that concerns me is using the bag magazine. I don't have any experience with one but then again that is what makes this so much fun.

Dave
semihemi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is just my bad luck, but every time I go for a Graflex of this vintage (1910's - 1920's??) I find that the "working shutter" is a generous characterization at best. Usually they are crispy and flaky and shed black dandruff all over the place. Sometimes they cannot be tensioned all the way up due to excessive roll thickness, caused by aged curtain material that refuses to lie flat as it rolls up. Invariably there are somewhere between dozens and thousands of pinholes visible upon careful inspection. For playing around, such a machine is fine. If you really wish to use it without making excuses, then I would count on a shutter rebuild.

I have seen posts that say that the later shutters (postwar) tend to remain supple far longer, probably due to the use of improved synthetics.

But anyways, the bottom line is that, for me at least, it would be well worth $80 as a shelf piece, whether or not it needs a shutter.

Just one opinion - hope it helps!

JC
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't buy it, send me the info, I WILL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: