Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polaroid 500 back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpveazey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can current 4x5 Polaroid type 52/54/79 sheet film be used with the 500 back? I just bought a Speed Graphic that came with the 500 Polaroid back, and some of the internet info I've seen says current film can't be used with this back.

thanks

[ This Message was edited by: jpveazey on 2001-11-07 18:23 ]
Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Polaroid films were not designed for the 500 back.

There's nothing to stop the dark slide (dark envelop) from coming all the way out, and once that happens you can't get it back in.

However if you are vigilant and are willing to blow the first sheet of film you can decide for your self how far to pull the dark envelop out..

With the back out of the camera, insert a sheet of film and then pull the envelop until the edge just passes the opening exposing the film. Now look on the back of the back and make a mental note of some lettering on the envelope aligning with some part of the back.

APZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand the problem with trying to use the 500 back with current Polaroid film - so - "There's nothing to stop the dark slide (dark envelop) from coming all the way out, and once that happens you can't get it back in. "

What does this mean - what is the attendant problem of not being able to get the dark slide back in? What if I only have one film sheet in at a time? Sorrry - I'm new to these cameras.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Polaroid profesional film comes in a one sheet envelope, and if you pull the paper envelope compleatly off the film it is imposible to reinsert the film back into the paper envelope.
APZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the film becomes unusable? I am sure this will be much more obviuos to me when I have the camera in my hands. You do agree that with care the 500 is usable as described above?
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With care and patince the back can be used with curent Polaroid films. In regards to pulling the paper envelope compleatly off the film; if this happens you cant get the paper back on the film and when you remove the back to get the film out you will be exposing the film to light.
APZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - I understand. I think I will get a 545 back from ebay - The 545 is "corect" for modern film?

Al Z
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 545 backs are corect for modern film.
APZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between the 545 and 545i - Would I be making a mistake with the 545?
wolvertone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference is that the 545i is Internet ready.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, I think the 545i has a built in timer.

Steve
rwbehan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen (and ladies, if so):
Thanks for the information on using the 500 holder with current films. I share the same difficulty as jpveasey, and will follow your good advice, accordingly.

Great old cameras, though, eh?

Thanks again.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 545i is the improved version of the 545, Improved from Polaroid've view, ie, more plastic less metal, better profit margin.

Inspite of what Polaroid says (545 after a few years use can become misaligned, it's baloney, they're desparite for money) I've used my 545 for 15 years now without a problem, except for coming up with the cash to buy the film.

In answer to an above question, when you use a 500 back and pull the darklside out completely, there's no way of getting the film out of the camera without fogging it, also you need the dark envelope to protect the holder when the film is squeezed through the holder. (there's a pod of chemical at the top of the film that is burst and spread between the exposed film and the recieving print by the holder.)
dkt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both a 545 and a 545i. It's true that the 545i has more plastic in it, but you can also take it apart more easily...you might not ever have to do this--consider yourself lucky--but it is possible to get the clip stuck in the holder in such a way that you have to take the side rails off to remove it....you can do this on a 545 too, but it's a major PIA...alot of people don't realize this & go into repair shops or call Polaroid and are told the back is bad. If you had to pay a repairman by the hour to take that back apart, you probably could buy a new one....we shoot about a half dozen cases of type 55 a year, and it's not uncommon to wind up with at least a whole box of reject film after that....I'd only buy a 545 if it were a real good deal, otherwise go for the 545i because it can be serviced easily. YMMV, of course...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: