Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex RB shutter help???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
briangaberman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently gotten a Graflex RB w/ a roll film back. Everything seems to be in good shape but the shutter and or mirror seems to stick. When I try to trip the shutter, most of the time the mirror flips up but the shutter almost never fires. With a little push on the winding nob, it will advance to the next curtain aperature, but it never really fires in sync with the mirror for an instantaneous exposure. Some times I don't get any response at all when I trip the shutter. Any advice on how to get it moving along again would be tremendously appreciated. -Brian
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely that the shutter mechanism, including the disposition that releases the shutter when the mirror reaches the top of its swing, needs inspection and, perhaps, cleaning and a bit of lubrication. I had an "RB Series B" four decades ago, and it was my introduction to the remarkable Graflex shutter. It is not a difficult camera to comprehend, and to work on, if you proceed methodically.
briangaberman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any suggestions on lubricants?
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that cleaning old gunk off bearing surfaces often is more than half the battle. That said, I've had good luck with a product called "Dri-Slide," available for decades and now evidently offered by Russack Chemicals.

Also good, and easiest to apply with precision, is the "Teflon"-based lubricant that comes in a squeezable pen-sized cylinder with a needle applicator. I've gotten this stuff from Radio Shack.

Some contributors to this site recommend certain greases for FP shutter lubrication; it might be worth reading through those threads.

In general, when lubricating moving parts in cameras, less is better than more!
briangaberman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never dismantled one of these before. Any suggestions on where to begin and anything to most certainly not do, or should I just follow what seems obvious and proceed with caution. Is there a repair manual or diagram accessible anywhere on the web that anybody knows about? sorry to be such a repair novice but all your information is extraordinarily helpful..thanks
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common fix for a Reflex camera is stated by another member as:
email me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
So, if he doesn't respond in a timely manner I will foward a copy of all the files/shutter info for the Reflex series of cameras. While not as polished as a tech manual it is as thorough.
Charles

briangaberman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I've figured out that the shutter will fire after all, it just has a wierd quirk which maybe you could tell me is fixable or not. When I reset the mirror, the mirror cocking lever needs to be pushed foreward a hair after it's cocked. If I don't do this the mirror/ shutter release lever on the cameras left side doesn't function at all. It's almost as if the mirror is sticking to something when I cock it, and by pushing the cocking lever that little but foreward, it unsticks the mirror from something. Any clues or is this somewhat normal?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror release lever on the side of the body may need a little cleaning and/or lube OR as in the case of my RB the latch behind the bellows that holds the mirror in the down position needed it.
Charles

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer has been on the blink...think it is ok now
email me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: