Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grafmatic septums and rollfilm holders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Iston woody recently and it came with 3 Grafmatics and 2 roll film backs that I was interested in using with my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. One of the Grafmatics was a 'Graflex' model however instead of 'Graphic'. The film septums are interchangeable, right? I want to switch out the bent and dinged ones and select the best. Do little dings and dents make a difference in film flatness, or do they have to be perfect?
Of the rollfilm backs, one is a Graflex RH10 6x7 lever wind, and the other is a Linhof Rollex 6x9. I appreciate German engineering (I have 2 vintage BMW motorcycles and I would love to own a Leica) but, why does it install upside down? The film counter and wind knob are on the bottom. Unfortunate.
The package also came with 2 polaroid film holders, a 545 and a pack film holder. How do you load those film packs anyway?
Any help or comments are appreciated.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My frequent use of a "Grafmatic" magazine was many years ago but, in my experience, the dings and dents are more apt to impede the smooth action of the film changing mechanism than to affect the flatness of the film.

I've not seen the "Graflex" back version of the "Grafmatic," but since the septums are designed to hold the same size sheet, and since some users might be expected to own both kinds, it would make sense for the manufacturer to use the same septums in both. However, this kind of logic does not always apply to 1950s photographic accessories!

The "Polaroid" filmpack holder is very straightforward in use, and I think if you lay a pack of film next to the open holder, you'll see what needs to be done. The pack is a flat plastic box with a cutout on one face through which the film is exposed (just like the old wet-process filmpacks, except they were made of thin sheet metal). You just orient this box so the cutout drops over the film gate in the holder, make sure the paper tabs are protruding smoothly from the right side, and close it up. The first tab allows you to pull out a protective opaque sheet, readying the pack for use. After you've done that, you're all set.
FrankS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you T.R. Does one insert the start tab through the rollers, or just lay in the film packet and close the back of the holder? If so, that tab comes out of the holder at a different location than the film needs to come out of (which is through the rollers).
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graflex and graphic grafmatics take the same specturms.

Check your private message(s)

t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really thought about how the Polaroid "405" back is loaded, so I got mine out and loaded it. You simply push the filmpack to the left, against the flat spring visible under the retaining flange molded into the front (lower) section of the back, and press it down into place. Lead the paper tabs out over the lip of the box at the right; you don't unlatch the rollers (that is only done when you need to clean them). Close the back and secure it with the wire bail.

Before starting to shoot, you pull out the black paper lightshield, which makes the first film available for exposure.

Polaroid recommended not pulling the darkslide all the way out, and provided a strip of orange paint on the slide so you can see when it's been pulled far enough to the left to clear the film gate. You can pull it all the way out, if you wish, but it's sort of annoying to have to fit it back into its slot -- it's thinner and more flexible than the classic darkslides. You also may find it necessary, from time to time, to wiggle it a bit when pushing it back in; it sometimes takes a little effort to find the internal slot that allows the slide to move all the way to the right.
FrankS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again, T.R. As usual, I look for a more difficult solution when an easy one is available!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: