Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grafmatic question for Pre-Anny Speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a question about the Grafmatic film holder.

I just bought one, labeled a 'Grafmatic "45" Graphic,' on that famous auction site we all know. It is pretty beaten up-looking cosmetically, but is said to work well and to have all six septums.

Here is a photo:
http://home.earthlink.net/~antonyoung/ebay/grafmatic2.jpg

If that photo link doesn't work, the e Bay item number is 3804062091.

My question is this: Will this Grafmatic back work with my Graflex? Mine is a 4x5 Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic, with spring (Graphic) back. I'm thinking from what I've read on this site that both are for the spring back, due to the name on the Grafmatic saying "Graphic," and there should be no problem.

Please forgive my ignorance; I'm still new in the Graflex world.

Thanks in advance,
Micah in NC
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-18 13:49, Micah in NC wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question about the Grafmatic film holder.

I just bought one, labeled a 'Grafmatic "45" Graphic,' on that famous auction site we all know. It is pretty beaten up-looking cosmetically, but is said to work well and to have all six septums.

Here is a photo:
http://home.earthlink.net/~antonyoung/ebay/grafmatic2.jpg

If that photo link doesn't work, the e Bay item number is 3804062091.

My question is this: Will this Grafmatic back work with my Graflex? Mine is a 4x5 Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic, with spring (Graphic) back. I'm thinking from what I've read on this site that both are for the spring back, due to the name on the Grafmatic saying "Graphic," and there should be no problem.

Please forgive my ignorance; I'm still new in the Graflex world.

Thanks in advance,
Micah in NC
Try slipping it in like a cut film holder. It will go or it won't.
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, nice looking Grafmatic

Seriously, a few nicks & names... Nothing a little touch-up paint won't fix. Unless you like items with 'character'.

I speak from half-experience... Yes, since yours is a "45 Graphic", it will fit your back. But your back may not like a Grafmatic? They tend to be a tight fit for some springs. Some backs don't mind. Some you can coax. Some won't like it. From what I've heard, if you strech the later a few times, they finally give in. I don't know? I only have one or two sprng backs here and the Grafmatics seemed a bit too tight to me. A little paraffin for lubrications helps a whole lot too!

Like Dan said, try it and see...

Micah in NC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan & Rich:

Thanks for the replies! As soon as it arrives, I will try it out. Hopefully, it won't balk...

--Micah in NC
disemjg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one does have "charachter"; looks like they polished sidewalks with it. But these things are rugged and it will probably work fine. When you get it the septums will probably be bent, but they can easily be straightened. Be careful doing so, as if you are careless they can be kinked. The closed end of the septums goes towards the handle side of the magazine when you load them. Be sure that the bright metal pusher inside the magazine box is retracted before you insert the septums. If you can get the back in your camera easily, be careful when you cycle the magazine. The forces applied can yank the thing out of the camera if you are careless. Mine seem to want to be cycled briskly.

And one last thing: check that the light traps are intact. They are prone to fall out as the glue fails, and many people do not recognize them for what they are and throw them out. You can see them with the magazine open; they are felt strips (actually felt loops crimped to metal bases)found top and bottom at the mouth of the box. Look inside the box to see the bottom one, and outside to see the top.
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check those septums and light seals before use.

--Micah in NC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: