Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GV I & II Production statistics?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suburban grafic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the production statistics for how many of these cameras were made?
25? 25,000?

Just curious...
Gandolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roughly 6000 GVIs
and
roughly 8500 GV IIs
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-28 06:07, Gandolf wrote:
roughly 6000 GVIs
and
roughly 8500 GV IIs

So I only have to buy 8495 more

Thanks for that info, it's nice to know. And it seems low to me. I would have thought there were many more built. From the looks of sales of these cameras, it seems that most of them are still around, and hopefully still being used.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think almost 100% of those cameras went to pros. A certain subset of the pro market to boot. So that's not a small number to me.
suburban grafic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that of the 14000+ GV's produced,a few have ended up in the junk pile probably through intentional misuse or neglect. I personally know of two GVII's that are still in use in Taiwan. Several years ago, I saw one ******* in a camera store in Kathmandu, Nepal. So, they appear to have made their way around the world! Thanks for the information, Gandolf.

suburban grafic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange. I just reviewed my reply and there is a string of asteriks where I typed GVII. :-0

Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you typed f-o-r s-a-l-e, which is automatically edited out with the asterisks on this board, because that activity just ain't permitted here. (Even though WE know you were not trying to s-e-l-l anything, the censor doesn't. Dumb computers.)
suburban grafic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lordy me! Live and learn! LOL!

paxety

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a large format group here in northeast Florida. A couple of weekends ago, we got together near Gainesville - eight large format photographers, two had GVIs, and one had a Crown Graphic. I had my Miniature Speed rather than my usual GVI because I was out of 4x5 film. So, out of eight large format photographers, three of us own GVIs - and half the cameras there were Graflexes. I was amazed.
j.e. simmons
Gandolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may have been more made for Government conscription.

These were marketed both with the 135 optar and a 203 Ektar.

The 203 rig would delight the pros, the 135 with it's limited movements, I'm not so sure.

suburban grafic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government requisitions? What era, how many and to what particular department of the govt? Were specific cameras with specific lenses ordered for a specific department?

Not to be offensive; but, can you furnish some hard documentation to justify the information with which you have replied?

As something of an armchair historian and almost daily user of Graflex products (40 years hence+-) I am always interested in any documentation of these great cameras.

For example, I have in my possession bills of sale/custom/tax receipt three documents from Foto Clay, S.A. Mexico, D.F. for sixty-five items imported by Foto Clay from the Graflex Corp. I lived in Mexico City for several years and the clerks and owners there developed a great relationship with me when they saw that I always carried a Crown Special with me. Hence, the gift that was to become part of my treasured files of Graflex documents. On one page of the documents is listed the purchase of "Cameras de Vista 4X5, monoriel, color gris, sin lente, diez unidades." Translation: View Camera 4X5 monorail, gray, without lens, ten units. The rest of the papers refer to 4x5 film holders, roll film backs, five 2X3 Crown Graphics and "refacciones" (replacement parts).

Just another piece of yellowed pink paper in my files.

Please share your documentation with the rest of us, and you may always exchange scans with me at englishdr1@cox.net

RichS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-10 22:25, suburban grafic wrote:
Government requisitions? What era, how many and to what particular department of the govt? Were specific cameras with specific lenses ordered for a specific department?

Not to be offensive; but, can you furnish some hard documentation to justify the information with which you have replied?

As something of an armchair historian and almost daily user of Graflex products (40 years hence+-) I am always interested in any documentation of these great cameras.

For example, I have in my possession bills of sale/custom/tax receipt three documents from Foto Clay, S.A. Mexico, D.F. for sixty-five items imported by Foto Clay from the Graflex Corp. I lived in Mexico City for several years and the clerks and owners there developed a great relationship with me when they saw that I always carried a Crown Special with me. Hence, the gift that was to become part of my treasured files of Graflex documents. On one page of the documents is listed the purchase of "Cameras de Vista 4X5, monoriel, color gris, sin lente, diez unidades." Translation: View Camera 4X5 monorail, gray, without lens, ten units. The rest of the papers refer to 4x5 film holders, roll film backs, five 2X3 Crown Graphics and "refacciones" (replacement parts).

Just another piece of yellowed pink paper in my files.

Please share your documentation with the rest of us, and you may always exchange scans with me at englishdr1@cox.net

There's no doubt whatsoever that the military was very fond of Graflex products. And the View was apparently very popular with them. You can occasionally find Navy models up for auction. I missed a couple of them already. They come with the 90, (Gees, I can't remember the other two? But probaly the 152. I'd have to check). I have a "chapter" that details the original kit. Anyway...

I also have a military version of Graphic Graflex Photography, copyright 1950. It's _almost_ the same as the civilian copy, but many of the photos are different. The difference is funny in a way. Nowadays we would wonder "why bother"...

I have another copy of the GVII instruction 'chapter' from a military manual. They recommend the View over other forms of cameras because of it's quality (the negative, not the camera unfortunately).

If you think about it, taking photos of large ships presents the same problems as any large architecture. If you want proper perspective, movements is a must. So I would think the Navy was a bit more fond of them...

suburban grafic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting observations and worthwhile comments from all! Many thanks!

cameracamel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aquired my View 2, and the SpeedGraphic, from my mentors estate. He was my partner as City Photographers for St. Petersburg, Florida. After his passing, I bought the 2 Graphics. I also was given his old Navy Photography Course book. He was a Navy Lt, and taught the photo instructers at photo school. His manual Has both Speed Graphics for all Navy ships and View 2's on all carriers and ships with larger darkrooms. Very Interesting manual!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: