Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adapt a roll 620 by tatro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I picked up one of these today. My understanding is the simplest thing is to use a 620 takeup reel. But a while back we discussed the 120 to 620 adapters that are being sold. Did anybody try those with an adapt a roll? It would be a lot easier to use 120 take up spools.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stupidly bought some of those "adapters". They were very thin pieces of bright metal with 620-size holes punched in the center. Instructions were to glue them to the ends of 120 spools with contact cement. Problem is, 120 spools are slightly larger... and have ridges... so that they would still be difficult to use where a 620 spool is intended. I tossed the adapters aside. Best bet is to get some 620 spools for take-ups and re-cycle them. ( I "borrowed" mine from several old 620 cameras in my collection.) You have to force the 120 film into the Adapta-a-roll...it WILL go...and I put a piece of masking tape on the ends of the spools and punch a tiny hole in the center to give the 120 film a bit of back tension and prevent it from "flopping around". Fred.
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll order some 620 film from J&C with the money for the adapters. Thanks
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-06 15:19, Nick wrote:
I guess I'll order some 620 film from J&C with the money for the adapters. Thanks
Nick, don't squander the money unless that's the only way you have of acquiring a couple of 620 spools. You should be able to find 620 spools on eBay, just be patient.

My three AAR 620s all feed very well from 120 spools, take up on 620s. Before I send exposed film to the lab, I respool it on a 120 spool. That's what changing bags are for.

Cheers,

Dan
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping it comes with at least one take up spool. OTOH the 620 B&W film from J&C is I think less then $2 more then the 120 version. Small stuff like spools usually aren't that great for me from Ebay. Once you factor in the shipping it'll be cheaper for me to add a couple of rolls of 620 film to an order from J&C. I will keep my eyes out. I wasn't even thinking of getting this before I noticed it late last night.
Thanks
TimKean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW the 620 from J&C is "resized" 120. I'm not exactly sure how they do it, but I decided it wasnt' worth the risk and ordered the 120 and respooled it.
paxety

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the flea market or thrift store. There are frequently old Brownies, etc. *******, and these frequently have a spool - or even film - inside.

I've seen the whole camera as cheap as a quarter.
j.e. simmons
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they cut down film from large spools. That way they can provide whatever format is needed. I'm assuming that is how they'll be doing the 116 and not just using 70mm film. Really it's no different then how any of the film makers do it.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-09 05:50, TimKean wrote:
FWIW the 620 from J&C is "resized" 120. I'm not exactly sure how they do it, but I decided it wasnt' worth the risk and ordered the 120 and respooled it.
Hmmm. J&C say "Our 620 Resized film is manufactured by using a specially designed high speed cutter to trim the outside diameter and length of 120 spools to 620 dimensions." Its the old trim-the-120 spool trick.

In my experience, the Adapt-A-Roll 620 won't take up on 120 spool with hand-trimmed flanges. I haven't been able to get a 120 spool with hand trimmed flanges to go into an AAR's take-up chamber. Another bubble burst, alas.

If anyone finds out that I'm mistaken, please let us all know.

Cheers,

Dan
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drop them a note and ask. But they're closed for the next month while they move. It sounds like they are also making the spool shorter?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-09 09:22, Nick wrote:
I'll drop them a note and ask. But they're closed for the next month while they move. It sounds like they are also making the spool shorter?
Yep, that's what it sounds like. But there's not much material to trim and the recesses at the end of a 120 spool are a poor match for the lugs on the AAR wind shaft.

Keep us posted. I've been wrong before, and this is one situation where I'd like to have been mistaken.

Cheers,

Dan
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if they worked. Some body bought 6 empty spools for close to $20 when you include shipping. That would buy four rolls with film-)
FixerFiend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the 620 film from J&C. The problem is the spools that they use are soft plastic which allows the pins in the adapt a roll to just spin so the frame counter doesn't work. Also due to the way the film is rewound, its so loose that you need 3 hands to thread it through the adapt a roll. If you don't keep the film tight it will unravel and expose while trying to load it. clnfrd's idea of using 120 works fine as long as you tape the ends of the 120 spool.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Kodak 1a and the seller gave me some 620 spools. So I guess that solves my problem. Of course I now have a new problem. Figuring out the 1a-))
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back came and it included two spools. Once I figured out how to feed it I had no problem with Agfa 120 B&W. Wasted a roll of film figuring out loading and generally spent awhile wondering which end was up. Seems the film must be TIGHT for the film counter to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: