Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can one find a 3-Cell cheap?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...so, as I understand it, the issue is not, "Is this an attractive, functional light sword?" but rather, "Is this just like the prop in the movie?" Not an imitation of an imagined reality, but an imitation of an imitation of an imagined reality? We are not to imagine ourselves in a time long ago and a galaxy far away, but on a movie set?? Very mysterious!

I've always wanted an MPP "Micro Technical" camera, and learned recently that MPP also made a press camera as such. (In my youth, the "Microcord" TLR was the popular MPP product).

MPP cameras seem to have a devoted following in the UK and abroad, as Graflex (etc.) products do here, and there are some very interesting websites devoted to them.
Cykke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wants to buy a real Graflex 3-cell, now is the best time. You can find them on ebay for 100-125$. Thats a very nice price because, when Episode 3 hits the theaters, the prices will rise to 300$.

Im intrested in one thing. On the bottom of the Graflex 3-cell, does it says "Made by..." or "Manufactured by", or both?

BTW- You mentioned MPP. MPP prices are higher than Graflex prices. Near mint MPP has a price of 800-1000$!
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the prices you're seeing is for the "Micro Technical," the reason probably is that this was in some ways a more sophisticated camera than the "Speed Graphic." It had back movements, rather like a Linhof "Technika," and I believe its inner focusing rails could be driven separately from the bed yoke, for convenience in working with wide field lenses.

The closest American approximation to a "Micro Technical" that I've ever seen is the "Meridian."

Like most MPP cameras, the "Micro Technical" also seems not to have been manufactured in great quantity, unlike "Speed Graphics," which were all over the place half a century ago.

If the prices you're seeing are for the MPP press camera (I think it was called the "Micro Press"), I'd guess this is a function of that rarity, rather than any clear superiority. I've never seen one, but there's some good information on the Web. It seems to have been an intelligent top-down design, not a copy, and it had a focal plane shutter and a rangefinder, like a "Speed Graphic." The rangefinder cam seems to have been mounted to the bed, and apparently could be interchanged by removing a couple of screws -- more straightforward than a "Pacemaker" top rangefinder, but more time-consuming.

I'll look at the bottoms of my Graflex flashguns, though they may be a later generation than the models that interest you.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ll answer for Cykke....

T. R. Sanford: Those prices were for the FLASH, not the camera. The MPP flash is a copy of the Heiland but differs in subtle ways and there were a lot less MPP flashs made than Heiland, sooo..

As to the Made by vs Manufactured by. the answer is::::::

both.

The were "Made by the Folmer Graflex Corp" but after '45 they were "Manufactured by Graflex Inc."
The Graflex Inc. version also sports the patent number.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ll answer for Cykke....

T. R. Sanford: Those prices were for the FLASH, not the camera. The MPP flash is a copy of the Heiland but differs in subtle ways and there were a lot less MPP flashs made than Heiland, sooo..

As to the Made by vs Manufactured by. the answer is::::::

both.

The were "Made by the Folmer Graflex Corp" but after '45 they were "Manufactured by Graflex Inc."
The Graflex Inc. version also sports the patent number.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! If there are people out there willing to spend $800 to $1,000 for a bulb flashgun that wasn't incorporated into a motion picture prop, we may conclude that the Imperial Storm Troopers aren't having it all their own way!
Cykke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you thought that Graflex prices were high...

On my Graflex bottom it says: Made by folmer Graflex Corp. And I have patent number (2310165)?!

Thx for help Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: