Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vulcanoid fiber cases for Graphics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got another vulcaoid case, and it is different from any of my others. This one is small, and is made for a 2x3. Instead of being the usual gray, it is brown, with black hardware and a black velvet interior. The internal layout is similar to the leather Mini Speed Graphic case I also have, with blocks to support the camera and two pockets for a few film holders. A Mini Speed fits, but as I do not have a Pacemaker 23 Speed I cannot check it. I doubt it woud fit because of the way the back of the camera fits into the two support blocks. While I am assuming that this is a late (c 1946~'47) case for the Mini Speed, does anyone know more about it?
troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar small brown case that came with my 50's Century and it sounds the same with black velvet and pockets etc. My 2x3 Speed will not fit in it,but i can put the Century with extra lens in a small rubbermaid container, two roll backs and plenty of film and accesories. However, my handle is going to fall apart, and i just took it in a long road trip and found it to be a bit hard to use in comparison with my Velocity 3 Tamrac case which also holds everything for the Century or the Speed. I am going to get another one of these soft cases for road trips and put my 35mm stuff in one and the 2x3 stuff in the other, and thus save the hard case for home storage. I also have a leather case. Can you decribe yours, I am wondering if it was made for Graphics. Mine came with another Century camera.
Regards,
Steve
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am convinced that mine is original Graflex, and that it was intended for the Miniature Speed Graphics that were discontinued shortly after the war. I tried my Centuries and Pacemaker Crown and none are thick enough to permit the body to sit on the ledges that are provided to hold it in place; they are rather narrow. The thicker body of a Speed is necessary to hold the body on them. A Pacemaker Speed may fit, at least the early one with a Graphc back. Graflok backs prevent the body from sitting on the ledges. I think the Pacemaker tube finder will also be a problem, and will probably prevent them fitting the case. As mentioned before, the internal layout is identical to the leather Graflex case for the Mini Speed.

You mentioned that the handle on your case is coming apart; depending on how far gone it is you may be able to fix it. I just fixed the handle on another case that was losing chunks of the covering leather, with the padding underneath starting to unwind. Work some glue into the padding to stiffen it up, and smooth it down. Use the glue to re-skin the patches that are gone. I painted mine black when done and while it will never pass as new it sure looks a whole lot better and will not continue to come apart. You could also wrap it with black electrical tape, but the glue fix is nicer looking.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the handle on my '09 RB broke, I found a bag of black leather remanants at a local hobby store (Michael's) for about $7. I laid the broken pieces out and made a pattern. Next I cut out 5 or six pieces according to the pattern. (thin leather). Next I glued the pieces together making a multi-layer unit which I covered with a larger than pattern piece and made the seam on the bottom. I did the same for the retainer straps. It does not look factory but is durable, confortable, and you have to look close to notice the difference.
I used latex/neoprene contact cement.
Charles

troublemaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe measurements for the inside of my case are as follows:
14" wide x 4-3/8" front to back x 8" deep.

My 2x3 Speed is not even close to fitting, but the while the Century sits nicely on the bottom, it does not really line up with any of the blocks. The Leather case, on the other hand, fits the Century perfect, and has a nice pocket for the press sheet film holders etc. This one needs a littel TLC but just cosmetic and sewing.
I would like to know more about the hard case, because nothing seems to fit just right in it no matter what i try. I still like it and wouldn't mind having another one for storing stuff while not using.
I got a beautiful Vulcanoid for the 4x5 and found that it will hold a Century and the Crown with all accessories!
Steve
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to post some Pix later tonight so you can see the case; it is definitely for a Mini Speed only. It is the only vulcanoid case like it that I have seen.
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the photos, but cannot figure out how to post them here. Drag and drop dosen't do it. Can anyone let me know how?

Thanks
disemjg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troublemaker: I sent you a private message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: