Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rotating drums, or print drums for film...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...didn't realize you didn't have a place for a darkroom. I had a small 8'X 8' outbuilding I made into a workshop by insulating, etc. I partitioned off a 4'X 6' area for the tiny darkroom...installed a bar sink...and I pipe water to it with a garden hose from an outside faucet. (Can't have running water if it's freezing outside.) I installed a small air conditioner for summer...a ceramic heater for winter. The darkroom accomodates a 6X9 Kodak Precision enlarger...bench for three 8X10 trays...and the tiny sink. I put a cut piece of plywood over the sink to accomodate one of the trays, removable when I do the print washing. I'm only 165 lbs, so I fit into the small space. I also installed a bathroom exhaust fan in the wall above the hypo tray...and a filtered opening in the opposite corner for air intake. Small...but efficient...and CHEAP. I keep jugs of water inside, so I'll have room-temperature water for mixing the chemicals. I plan on installing a small point-of-use water heater so I can have water-temp control. The remainder of the space in the building has a small work table and shelves, where I can restore and repair all this stuff I have become addicted to collecting. Fred.

RichS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, that's a great plan for a darkroom and similar to what I will be doing in my garage. Unfortunately, there's always other priorities. An ongoing adoption process permanently resides at the top of the list and the list always seems to get longer...
My garage is two story, completely unfinished in any respect. I was going to build a single room to house the darkroom and electrically heat it for the Winter. finally got the electricity to the building (seperate from the house) but then other things got in the way... But soon....

brimc76

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a used 8x10 Unicolor brand drum. They have the ribs inside that will keep your film off the sides, and with a slight clothespins modification (as shown in largeformatphotography.net) you can develop 4 sheets at a time.

brimc76

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't realise you were having trouble locating Unicolor drums. I have heard of people using Cibachrome 8x10 drums. As long as you can get the white strips for the inside (I think you need 3) you are suppose to be able to use it the same as the Unicolor.

RichS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a final follow-up...

Before deciding to invest in the Jobo drum, I ran into a good deal on another Western drum. This even included the 11x14 tube. Great. Now I'm set with a spare drum and can do two sheets..

Then I saw two good deals on Unicolor 16x20 print drums, which have the internal ribs and can process up to 4 8x10 sheets at a time. Couldn't resist and bought them both!

Then I got the 16x20 drums... Good grief, they are huge... It might be nice to do 4 8x10's at a time, but there's no way to load them in my tent or bag! Yet one more reason to finally get that darkrooom built!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: